Q. Is it alright to take sleep medicines for eight months at a stretch?

Dr. Amit Garg
Published on Oct 27, 2017

My father is having sleep issues and is taking Venlafaxine 37.5 75 mg, Arip MT 5 mg, Pacitane 2 mg and Lonazep 0.25 from eight months. Is it alright to take these medicines for so long?

Dr. Amit Garg

Psychiatry Psychotherapy
#

• Some psychiatric disorders warrant the medicines to be continued for a long time. This is important first to attain remission and second to prevent relapse.
  • Now, since there are problems with sleep, it would be advisable to follow sleep hygiene practices.
  • Hope you are giving Pacitane (Trihexyphenidyl) in the morning hours and not in the evening or night.
  • There is a need for a review of medications. So that only the drugs which are needed should be continued and the rest be tapered off and stopped gradually.
  • In the meanwhile tablet Lonazep (Clonazepam) 0.25 can be increased to 0.50 mg for sleep disturbances. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  • Follow up with all the relevant history.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online.--->https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Sleep - a Miracle to Healthy Life

Article Overview: This article highlights the importance of sleep and the consequences of a sleepless night. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Sleep Medicine Physician

Sleep is a word that is defined differently by different people. When a human is born, the baby is said to be kept sleeping for 12-15 hours, which is essential for his growth. But, as we grow older and older, the sleep pattern changes over time, and we end up getting only 5 to 6 hours of sleep every...  Read Article

Can high triglycerides cause dizziness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and my query is related to high BP, light-headedness, and high lipids. Let me first share a background and then I will come to the problem. I am over 6 feet tall, and my weight presently is about 113 kg. I smoke cigarettes regularly, around 6 to 7 every day, fo...  Read Full »