I have a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, and fever. Help.

Q. How to alleviate sore throat, difficulty swallowing, and fever?

Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar

I am a 34-year-old female. I have a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, and a persistent mild fever. I have not taken any medications for it yet, but I have been drinking warm water regularly. Can you please explain if there are any effective ways to treat it? I would like to know what steps I can take to alleviate these symptoms and recover as quickly as possible.

Kindly help.

#

With the symptoms you have mentioned, you are possibly having acute pharyngitis. There is nothing that you need to be worried about as this is a very common entity that we come across and is treatable.

1. Take a tablet containing a combination of Amoxicillin 500 mg and potassium clavulanate 125 mg one tablet three times a day for 5 days. This is an antibiotic and can create abdominal discomfort in a few days, if you happen to develop loose motions, you can start probiotics one tablet in the morning for the next 1 week.
  2. Take tablet Zerodol p (or its equivalent) one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for 5 days.
  3. Take tablet Pan D (or its equivalent) one tablet once a day before food for 1 week.
  4. Practice salt water gargles 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days.
  5. Avoid oily spicy and cold food and beverages.
  6. Keep sipping on boiled warm water every 3 hours.
  7. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption as much as possible.

All precautionary measures have to be followed as much as possible to prevent any recurrences. The advice mentioned in points 4 to 7 is extremely important and needs to be followed to prevent relapse of symptoms.

|