Q. I have a problem with speaking. Please help.

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I have a problem with speaking. I cannot speak fluently without practicing it in my mind. Many a times I use wrong words accidentally, even though I meant to say some other word. Please help.

#

These problems suggest a condition called aphasia. It happens due to some problems in a particular part of the brain.

Infections in the brain, salt imbalances, liver failure etc., also cause this disorder.

I need a detailed history of your problems like the duration of the problem, examples for wrong words used, any associated visual problems, any problems with swallowing and any weakness in hands or legs.

I advise you to get these tests done:

1. Serum TSH.
  2. Serum creatinine.
  3. LFT (liver function tests).
  4. Serum sodium.
  5. Potassium, calcium and magnesium levels.

You may also require an MRI scan, but we will decide that after seeing these reports.

|