Q. Can a person with germinal cell aplasia be treated?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

My son is 34 years old. He has low testosterone levels. His semen analysis showed no sperm. No, inhibit B detected. He made a testes biopsy from both sides. The biopsy diagnosis was morphological change compatible with germinal cell aplasia. Microscopic description: Section show seminiferous tubules that are relatively small and lined extensively with Sertoli cells. There is no good evidence of spermatogenesis present. The changes are compatible with germinal cells aplasia. My question is whether there is any hope for my son to be a father? Is there any treatment for his case? He takes Eltroxin daily because of his hypothyroidism and vitamin D weekly. He took Clomid for six weeks. He used to have Hodgkin disease when he was a kid and it was cured.

#

I have gone through your query. From the information you have provided, conception naturally is not possible. Also, there is currently no treatment to correct his abnormalities. The testicular biopsy procedure would have only examined a very small area of the testis. By performing a procedure called microTESE (microsurgical testicular sperm extraction), which examines the entire testis. There is a slim chance of having some areas from which some sperms can be retrieved for artificial reproductive techniques. The chances of successful pregnancy and delivery even if sperms are retrieved is only about 60 to 70 % for these techniques.

|