Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What could be the reason for enlarged spleen based on blood report?

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2. Monocytes are 0.13 absolute. Can you please guide me on what needs to be done. I had peripheral blood smear, malaria, hepatitis tests too. All were under limits, as of now I do not have pain. Other doctors suggested hematologist. Please help.

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Hematology Pathology


welcome to

I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion.

The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear examination report do not suggest leukemia. Hemolytic anemia also can be excluded as bilirubin level is normal. Liver disease chance also very less as reports are normal related to that (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have persistent spleen enlargement, it is advisable to investigate with spleen biopsy or FNAC for histopathology examination. It will help in identifying the underlying specific cause if present. You can consult a surgeon for a detailed evaluation and examination. Then, if needed, the surgeon will suggest you visit hematologist.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Is 14.4 cm too large a size? Should I immediately go for these tests?

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Hematology Pathology


Welcome back to

Your splenomegaly can be graded as mild to moderate. So it cannot be considered an emergency. But you should get it evaluated by the doctor as advised.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can hypothyroidism cause a decrease in platelet counts?
I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?
I have pain below ribs on the left. What is causing it?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why are eggs not maturing in my ovaries?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to conceive for over a year now, but unsuccessful. I went to a gynecologist and he told me that I have no eggs maturing in my ovary and was given Clomid 50 mg. My eggs did not mature and it only grows up to 10 mm. He asked me to come again to try IUI treatments. He mentioned t...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Can you please explain my father's test results?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appe...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.