Q. What could be the reason for enlarged spleen based on blood report?

Published on Nov 27, 2019

I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2. Monocytes are 0.13 absolute. Can you please guide me on what needs to be done. I had peripheral blood smear, malaria, hepatitis tests too. All were under limits, as of now I do not have pain. Other doctors suggested hematologist. Please help.

Hematology Pathology
#

welcome to icliniq.com.

I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion.

The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear examination report do not suggest leukemia. Hemolytic anemia also can be excluded as bilirubin level is normal. Liver disease chance also very less as reports are normal related to that (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have persistent spleen enlargement, it is advisable to investigate with spleen biopsy or FNAC for histopathology examination. It will help in identifying the underlying specific cause if present. You can consult a surgeon for a detailed evaluation and examination. Then, if needed, the surgeon will suggest you visit hematologist.

| 

Is 14.4 cm too large a size? Should I immediately go for these tests?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your splenomegaly can be graded as mild to moderate. So it cannot be considered an emergency. But you should get it evaluated by the doctor as advised.

| 

Why are eggs not maturing in my ovaries?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to conceive for over a year now, but unsuccessful. I went to a gynecologist and he told me that I have no eggs maturing in my ovary and was given Clomid 50 mg. My eggs did not mature and it only grows up to 10 mm. He asked me to come again to try IUI treatments. He mentioned t...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the test results of my father.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appe...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now