Q. What could be the reason for enlarged spleen based on blood report?

I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2. Monocytes are 0.13 absolute. Can you please guide me on what needs to be done. I had peripheral blood smear, malaria, hepatitis tests too. All were under limits, as of now I do not have pain. Other doctors suggested hematologist. Please help.

#

welcome to icliniq.com.

I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion.

The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear examination report do not suggest leukemia. Hemolytic anemia also can be excluded as bilirubin level is normal. Liver disease chance also very less as reports are normal related to that (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have persistent spleen enlargement, it is advisable to investigate with spleen biopsy or FNAC for histopathology examination. It will help in identifying the underlying specific cause if present. You can consult a surgeon for a detailed evaluation and examination. Then, if needed, the surgeon will suggest you visit hematologist.

Is 14.4 cm too large a size? Should I immediately go for these tests?

#

Your splenomegaly can be graded as mild to moderate. So it cannot be considered an emergency. But you should get it evaluated by the doctor as advised.

|