Q. Kindly recommend a drug to stop ovulation and menstruation permanently.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I want to stop having menstrual period. I am 38 and widowed. I go through pains in both period and ovulation. Kindly recommend a drug that can stop ovulation and menstruation permanently. Thank you.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

For stopping menses, few medical options are there but you have to be on hormones continuously and it could have some long-term side effects as well. But, if you go for a surgical option, it would be permanent with no side effects.

You can have continuous Progesterone withoutwithdrawal or continuous oral contraceptive pills will out pill free tablets but continuous as well as cyclic hormones have their own specific side effects like endometrial hyperplasia, unscheduled bleeding or spotting, mood variations, breastengorgement, stroke, high blood pressure, clotformation, breast and endometrial cancer, etc.

Another option is gonadotropin-releasing hormone to reduce sex hormone production but can cause bone pain and menopausal side effects within six months. Even then, if you want to have medical treatment or find it convenient, I would like to say it is temporary and the choice is yours.

It is better to have a total abdominal hysterectomy as you do not need fertility. It is a whole surgery, but if done nicely there should be no long-term side effects. So, the complete removal of the uterus will give you complete cessation of menses.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Which medicine works best for severe menstrual pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female nurse, I have been having severe menstrual pain throughout my life, and sadly each year the pain increases. Since I was a college student, each month for all the four days of my period, I had to stay home lying in the fetal position, had to keep a heating pa...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Can birth control cause white milky discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female and I was on the birth control pill Aviane for almost two years. I never had any negative symptoms and had an overall good experience but I decided to stop taking it after ending my relationship because I would no longer be sexually active. About four weeks a...  Read Full »