iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologyendometriosisWhich medicine can work best for severe menstrual pain?

Which medicine works best for severe menstrual pain?

Which medicine works best for severe menstrual pain?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 29, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 23, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 28 year old female nurse, I have been having severe menstrual pain throughout my life, and sadly each year the pain increases. Since I was a college student, each month for all the four days of my period, I had to stay home lying in the fetal position, had to keep a heating pad on my lower abdomen and used to take some serious pills. I have seen so many doctors, and each one of them gave me the diagnosis of endometriosis. After I had done a deep search about this medical condition, I was not happy at all. I even tried contraceptive pills for six month, which reduced my pain but made me gain 19 lbs due to pure water retention. So, I stopped the pills, and the pain returned more aggressively.

Since I start working as a nurse, I am having problems to keep up with the working time during my periods. And my colleagues cannot always help me out to switch working days with me. So, I had a laparoscopy, and they found inflammatory things, but they could not determine what exactly it is. So, I changed my doctor and did an RMI, according to it they found some endometriosis tissues. And I also have a retroverted uterus. I am tired and sick of this issue, and lately, I started taking medicines to help me endure my pain. According to the latest doctor that I consulted, I have only two options, a medication called Visanne or an injection called Decapeptyl. I am terrified from both, because of there side effects and unknown results. And these will make my body go through menopause. Please help me.

Answered by Dr. Jyoti Gupta


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The diagnosis is indeed endometriosis. And yes, endometriosis causes very painful periods, and the only way to stop this pain is to stop your periods, which can be done through pills, injections or surgery. Surgery is not the answer for you, as you have already had one. And chances of recurrence are high post surgery unless we remove the uterus and ovaries too. But, we cannot do that at your age. These injections will cause menopausal problems. So, Visanne (Dienogest) is a better choice, or an intrauterine system called Mirena can be inserted, which will save you from taking medicines daily.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Jyoti Gupta
Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy