Q. Is it normal to have lighter periods after stopping the pill?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2022

Before every period, I get a light brown discharge with brown cervical mucus for three to four days. After that, the bleeding starts, and then again, there is a brown discharge for two days. When bleeding starts, I use only one pad a day and, even that does not get full. I was on pills eight months ago. When I stopped the pills, I started having these light periods. Why do I have this brown discharge before my period and bleeding that lasts for two days only? Could it be endometriosis?

#

You have to understand that these are hormonal medicines meant for contraception with many side effects.They disturb the hypothalamus, pituitary, and ovarian axis and suppress your periods totally by reducing the endometrial thickness. Now, your cycles are trying to get normalized, but the uterus's thickness is significantly less, and the hormones are insufficient. So, there is spotting. Please get your thyroid and premenstrual ultrasound done to know the endometrial thickness.

I am done with the thyroid tests and it is normal, and so are the premenstrual ultrasound and the HSG test. I am confused. What is wrong?

#

• Please send me the reports, so that I can guide you further. Just give it some time and your cycles should return to normal soon.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|