Q. I have weak eyesight and sunken eyes. Why?

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza

I am a 24-year-old. My eyesight is getting weak and I got sunken eyes. Does weak eyesight having a connection with sunken eyes?

#

The appearance of sunken eyes could be a relative thing depending on various factors like lack of normal sleep patterns, hydration if you are not consuming enough water, recent weight loss, anemia and vitamin and mineral deficiencies like vitamin C, K or iron, eating disorders where enough nutrition is not being absorbed. Do you have any other symptoms like diarrhea, intolerance to heat or cold, tremors? This could indicate an underlying systemic condition.

What kind of power did you have in childhood? Was it myopia (minus power) or hypermetropia (plus power)? Hypermetropic people tend to have smaller eyeballs which can add to the sunken appearance especially as you grow bigger. You will need to meet an ophthalmologist if you suspect that your eyesight is drastically reducing recently as power usually does not change so much after 21 years of age unless there is some problem in the eye or in the body.

Considering your height is 5.5", you are underweight. So that is probably the reason for sunken eyes but does not explain the reduced vision. Documentation of deteriorating vision will help to know if your eyesight is really reducing.

I have no intolerance to heat and cold. I have a myopia condition.

#

There is a certain condition called progressive myopia which is rare, where myopia keeps on increasing even into adulthood. The only way we can know for sure is if you check your power every six months. Any changes more than -1.0 can indicate you have it. Nothing much you can do to stop it but you need to get your retina (back part of the eye) examined every year. But that does not cause sunken eyes usually. Most likely because you are relatively underweight to your bone structure. Get a general health checkup done once the pandemic situation is under control.

|