Q. Is there any treatment available for sunken eyes?

Helo doctor,

The area under my eyes has sunken over a period of time. It has caused a  dark circle to appear below my eyes. I read about 'enophthalmos', a possible cause of this. Is there any treatment available for it? Where should I start?

Dr.Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
MBBS., MD MEDICINE BJMC PUNE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• I have seen the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your eyes do not seem to be sunken.
  • Do you use spectacles? Persons using spectacles may sometimes feel that their eyes are sunken. If you are still in doubt, you can consult an ophthalmologist. He can tell for sure. No drugs can be given unless the cause is identified.
  • For the dark circles, apply Melalite plus cream (a combination of Hydroquinone, Tretinoin, and Hydrocortisone) under the eyes.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

No, I do not use spectacles. I have tried a few creams for dark circles, but none of them have been effective. How can I get fat under my eyes back? I have heard about treatments like fillers or fat augmentation. The loss of fat in the under-eye area gave rise to dark circles and the sunken feeling. Is there a way to get it back or do I need to consult a dermatologist?

Dr.Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
MBBS., MD MEDICINE BJMC PUNE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• Generally, I do not recommend fillers and fat augmentation for sunken eyes. You can consult a dermatologist and an ophthalmologist to get their opinion.
  • To get fat under your eyes, you should take a proper diet, get sound sleep and daily exercise.

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.