Q. What can cause extreme body odor?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Mar 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a healthy male. My weight is 114 kg and height is 5'7". I am suffering from extreme body odor. Body odor starts few minutes after I take bath, especially from my underarms. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I can understand your problem. Let me explain the cause and treatment.

• Excessive sweating is always associated with armpit odor. It can be due to hormones and bacterial reaction.
  • Obesity, diabetes, thyroid, etc., also will cause this. As you are overweight must check thyroid and diabetes.
  • Sometimes, it is natural and not associated with any disease.
  • Shave the area and keep it dry and clean. You can try Aldry lotion (Aluminium chlorohydrate) which has anti-sweating property. Use deodorants and perfumes.
  • Avoid fatty and spicy food and also avoid tight clothes.
  • Botox (Botulinum toxin) is one of the most popular treatments nowadays. We inject this over armpit which cause sweat glands paralysis and totally stops the sweating and so body odor.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for your reply doctor.

Yes, I sweat a lot and usually I feel hotter than the person standing next to me. Is it my core body temperature high? Which exact test should I go for thyroid? Is this treatable in short term or quicker? The nature of my job requires me to be around people and it becomes very embarrassing. Thanks.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• Definitely your symptoms indicate that you should go under few tests. It can also be normal so no need to worry.
  • To rule out thyroid problem, blood test for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), T3 (Triiodothyronine) and T4 (Thyroxine).
  • To rule out diabetes, check blood glucose - fasting and postprandial. These two tests are enough at initial level.

Revert back with the blood test reports to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

My reports are as follows. Blood glucose fasting-94 and PP-134. Thyroid FT3-3.44, FT4-1.15 and TSH-1.834. The results look in the normal range, as you predicted. Please suggest what is the cause of my extreme body odor. What can I do to stop it?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• According to blood test everything looks normal only.
  • In your case the best is Botox. This will give you faster relief. You also take a short course of antibiotic Azithromycin 500 mg for three days.
  • Use Aldry lotion over armpit in the morning and night.
  • By Botox you will get result within one day and the effect will remain for at least one year. Body odor is sometimes natural also means not associated with any disease.
  • You take Azithromycin course and continue with Aldry lotion for 20 days and let me know the progress.

Revert back after 20 days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you follow the same dose as you are not a hyperthyroid yet. Also, if you are planning for your marriage and pregnancy, then this TSH value is normal.  If the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) value is less than 0.3 U/mL, then the dosage of tablet has to be red...  Read Full

Anal Fissure: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments.

Article Overview: Pain in the anus is one of the most common complaints encountered in the outpatient clinics. The pain is sometimes described by the patient as 'my worst pain ever. This article provides some suggestions on how to avoid facing this annoying issue by making few dietary and lifestyle changes. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

An anal fissure is a tear or ulcer that develops in the lining of the anal canal after passing a hard motion. Actually, it affects one in ten people at some point in their lives. All age groups and both sexes are affected equally. Causes Constipation is the most common cause either by itself or ...  Read Article