Q. Is surgery advisable for abductor spasmodic dysphonia?

Answered by Dr. Girish Subash and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Spasmodic Dysphonia or Botox Injections? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I suffer from abductor spasmodic dysphonia diagnosed nearly 11 years ago and I have received Botox injections every three to four months since then. Generally, they did work over the years until the last two years or so outcomes have been very poor. The last Botox shots by GA (six units left side) were a month back and again not successful, leaving me with little or no phonation. Botox is the only treatment offered in my area. Over the years I have tried every possible cure like prolonged speech therapy, laryngeal massage, vocal exercises, transdermal microphone, hypnosis, occupational therapy, and psychotherapy. Nothing proved to be a success. Surgery is the only option at this stage.

I have had discussions with various ENT doctors who say they can see the problem very clearly but it will be very difficult to resolve. Two of the consultants strongly suggest thyroplasty type 3. Another suggested arytenoid adduction or coagulation of the PCA muscle by radio frequency. I am asking you for independent advice as to which surgery is best to restore my voice at even a relatively acceptable level. I understand thyroplasty type 3 and arytenoid adduction but should I choose thyroplasty 3 over coagulation of PCA muscle by radio frequency? I look forward to hearing from you. I have got videostroboscopy done.