Q. What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Published on Jan 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and fatigue. I was ruled out for circulation problem and varicose veins. My blood tests show positive ANA, slightly low WBC and RBC, and slightly anemic. This leg swelling has been happening for the last two months.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal.
  • The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake.
  • You have mentioned about positive ANA (antinuclear antibody). Have you undergone anti-dsDNA? If not, then you should. You should get evaluated yourself for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).
  • Also, get vitamin B12, folic acid and iron studies for the cause of anemia as it can aggravate the swelling.
  • You can keep pillow below your legs during sleep.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my hands and wrists?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full »