Q. What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Published on Jan 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and fatigue. I was ruled out for circulation problem and varicose veins. My blood tests show positive ANA, slightly low WBC and RBC, and slightly anemic. This leg swelling has been happening for the last two months.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal.
  • The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake.
  • You have mentioned about positive ANA (antinuclear antibody). Have you undergone anti-dsDNA? If not, then you should. You should get evaluated yourself for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).
  • Also, get vitamin B12, folic acid and iron studies for the cause of anemia as it can aggravate the swelling.
  • You can keep pillow below your legs during sleep.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly provide me any other clinical complaint if you have. Kindly mention whether you have taken any vitamin B12 supplement or tablet or injection? Attach your all reports to give more comment. Usually, liver disease, kidney disease, B12 intake, myeloproliferative n...  Read Full

Can you suggest treatment for my elevated D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. D-dimer test is used to exclude deep vein thrombosis like thrombotic disorder.  Your D-dimer value (fibrin degradation product) is slightly high.  If clinically and from other investigations, thrombosis is not present then other causes for high false positive D-dimer...  Read Full

Pain in my hands and wrists. What does my blood work suggest?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the antibody as such does not match your symptoms. It is an antibody for autoimmune disease more like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since it is positive, I would like to know if your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was positive as well, or only this came positive. ...  Read Full