Q. I am having swollen lymph node in my neck. Will it be painful after adjusting my neck?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: May 30, 2019

I went to the chiropractor and got my neck adjusted. I had sore on my neck more in the back left corner then the pain passed down to my left arm. After checking, they said it was a flare-up and to ice it. The next day I had it adjusted again, and he pointed out that I had a swollen lymph node on the left side. I still had sore in the same spot and was worried about my artery and my lymph node. Could my lymph node be painful because they adjusted my neck or because my muscle was sore and irritated?

#

I do not think that because of chiropractor there will be any trouble to the lymph node. If the pain is radiating in nature, then it can be related to intervertebral disc injury which can be a past injury and due to which you had a sore neck. As the intervertebral discs are located in between the two vertebral bodies and the muscles are the supporting structures any trouble to the disc can first make the muscle sore and change the normal curvature of the cervical spine. The radiating symptoms can arise due to nerve root entrapment by the muscle as well as the intervertebral disc. Having an MRI scan of the cervical spine will be useful to avoid further injuries.

Also, doing hot water fermentation will help to reduce the muscle spasm of the cervical spine region and the trapezius muscle by which the normal alignment of the cervical spine is achieved. Using cervical soft collar will help to reduce the mobility of the cervical spine leading to stabilization of the joints and less nerve root entrapment.

Exercises like static neck exercises, shoulder stabilization exercises, interscapular muscle strengthening exercises will help to regain the muscle strength and correct the cervical spine alignment. If you have any more questions, you can ask me anytime.

Why a swollen lymph node that I have had for two years, has shrunk on taking Prednisone?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years ago, I discovered a small lump in my neck near the back right side. My GP said it did not seem like anything to worry about and to come back if it grows. I noticed no growth, but it did not go away or shrink either. A year and a half later, I developed a rash and stomach blo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lymph nodes in the neck, if multiple and greater than 1.5 cm should be biopsied. Especially, if it is persistent for a long time. Most of the symptoms you have had are unrelated to lymphoma, but in a persistent lymph node, lymphoma should be ruled out. This is espe...  Read Full

What is the risk of throat cancer if I have quit smoking three months earlier?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female. I used to smoke one pack a day for 19 years, but quit cigarettes three months ago. 10 days ago, I had ear and throat pain on the left side. My lymph node was swollen only on the left side. I went to my GP who prescribed me Amoxicillin 1000 mg two times per day f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the photo you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is very clear that you do not have any lesions in the throat which cause a suspicion of malignancy (cancer) to arise. The reddish line you are looking at is nothing but the dil...  Read Full

What is the rationale behind lymph node enlargement in my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year 8-month-old son has a single lymph node enlargement which is movable around 1.5 cm. There are no other signs or symptoms. There is no sign of any infections. Should I be worried?  Read Full >>

Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Single lymph node has no significance if there are no associated infections. Maybe your child had some cold or minor infection around that area due to which the lymph nodes got enlarged. You should show a doctor when lymph node increases in size as it is becoming v...  Read Full

Ask a Chiropractor Now