Q. What is the rationale behind lymph node enlargement in my baby?

Dr. Simy Mathew
Published on Jan 29, 2018

My 2-year 8-month-old son has a single lymph node enlargement which is movable around 1.5 cm. There are no other signs or symptoms. There is no sign of any infections. Should I be worried?

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

Single lymph node has no significance if there are no associated infections.

Maybe your child had some cold or minor infection around that area due to which the lymph nodes got enlarged.

You should show a doctor when lymph node increases in size as it is becoming very painful for the child, more numbers come

Else, it is absolutely safe and will disappear within a week or two. But if you are so concerned, they will suggest an ultrasound to rule out that it’s not infected or not a lymphadenitis.

For more information consult a paediatrician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

What causes enlarged pericecal lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See as such mesenteric lymphadenitis does not directly represent colon cancer. It is very commonly seen post infection. So what we do is that we give antibiotics for seven days and later repeat an ultrasound abdomen after one month to check for the size of lymph nodes. ...  Read Full

What is the risk of throat cancer if I have quit smoking three months earlier?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female. I used to smoke one pack a day for 19 years, but quit cigarettes three months ago. 10 days ago, I had ear and throat pain on the left side. My lymph node was swollen only on the left side. I went to my GP who prescribed me Amoxicillin 1000 mg two times per day f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the photo you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is very clear that you do not have any lesions in the throat which cause a suspicion of malignancy (cancer) to arise. The reddish line you are looking at is nothing but the dil...  Read Full