Q. I have swollen lymph nodes in armpits, groin and neck. Is it lymphoma?

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva
Published on Jun 06, 2018

I have noticed swollen lymph nodes on both my armpits and groin area as well on the right side of my neck. They have been there for six weeks now and are not painful. I had a blood test and they are normal. I am having a CT scan this week. I have no other symptom. Do you think it is lymphoma? The lymph nodes are small, especially in the groin area.

#

Your condition requires a definite verification with a biopsy of a lymph node in order to exclude the presence of lymphoma. A case of generalized enlarged lymph nodes is always very concerning. I would advise you to undergo a biopsy testing for sure, regardless of CT scan results. In case of lymphoma changes in blood tests are present in already very advanced stages, that is why they are not reliable for diagnosis. The only reliable test is histology based on biopsy specimen. This is the only test also to rule out lymphoma as well. There are other cases for generalized lymphadenopathy such as infections, autoimmune and metabolic disorders, but the search for them requires exclusion of primary hematologic disease. This is what I would recommend to you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What is the best treatment for Burkitt's lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My 60 year old uncle is diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma. His report says MYC-IGH fusion signal was detected in 45 % of the cells. The sample is positive for t(8;14). Could you please suggest whether it is curable and if it is curable then what is the best treatment?  Read Full »

What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? What can cause NHL? Which age group is more commonly affected? Can NHL occur without any family history? Does all left supraclavicular (Virchow's node) node is associated with lymphoma? Can single small but persistent size of lymph node enough for NHL? Why m...  Read Full »

Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I found a lump in my breast five months back. Initially, it was told to be a cyst. I followed up after four weeks, and the cyst was unchanged. My PCP recommended a needle biopsy to be safe. My surgeon felt more comfortable with lumpectomy because I have a family history of thyroid tum...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now