Q. Is drug-induced lupus a serious condition?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I have a neurological problem associated with rheumatology. I have had twitching in the body for the past four months and numb sparks in my hands and legs. I consulted a doctor from a reputed hospital. I took a nerve conduction test and other tests like an antinuclear antibody test, anti-dsDNA (anti-double-stranded deoxyribonucleic acid) test, and histone antibody test. My test results were negative, and the doctors said everything was normal. But anti-nuclear antibody test showed a homogeneous pattern with a dilution of 1:100. He said that it is drug-induced lupus erythematosus. The twitching might be due to anxiety. He prescribed me tablet Tryptophan, tablet Rejunex (Multivitamins), tablet Dical D and capsule Pregabid. Now I can find some improvement. My concern is whether SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) and drug-induced lupus will affect my kidneys and other organs?

#

I understand your concern.

You have undergone some investigations and found that it may be drug-induced SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Drug-induced lupus is the milder form of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) and is a temporary condition.

Unlike SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), drug-induced lupus rarely affects vital organs like kidneys or lungs.

It will subside within a few weeks or months after stopping the drug responsible for drug-induced lupus.

So it does not require additional medical treatment.

Take care.

|