Q. Is Bisoprolol advised for high heart rate?

Dr. Rishu
Published on Nov 25, 2016

I am facing problem of high heart rate of around 100 beats per minute. I can also feel my beat even if I am at rest. My ECG, echo and TMT test are normal. My doctor prescribed Bisoprolol 2.5. Is that fine for me? Is there any serious problem? I am 26 years old. My BP is 130/80 mmHg.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• Heart rate from 60 to 100 beats per minute is normal. As you say your heart rate is around 100 beats per minutes it is not tachycardia, but it can best be termed as heart rate on higher side.
  • Firstly, you have not mentioned your lifestyle, sleep cycle, smoking habits and you are an alcoholic or not.
  • What are your anxiety levels? Anxiety can be a very important cause of mild tachycardia in young patient.
  • Does this heart rate remain elevated all the time or during some specific period?
  • As of now, I would like to see your ECG to know whether it is a sinus tachycardia or sinus arrhythmia.
  • Bisoprolol is not a first line medicine for tachycardia, especially a young person with normal blood pressure. I think it was not advised by a cardiologist. Kindly consult your specialist doctor and confirm the treatment.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

My heart rate is low at rest and increases with exercise. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male, no known health problems. My only symptom is a slow resting heart rate. I have seen it as low as 45. I feel perfectly fine, no syncope or dizziness. I am not an athlete so I do not know why it is so low. Is this cause for concern? With heart block, the heart ...  Read Full »

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full »