Q. Is Bisoprolol advised for high heart rate?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

I am facing problem of high heart rate of around 100 beats per minute. I can also feel my beat even if I am at rest. My ECG, echo and TMT test are normal. My doctor prescribed Bisoprolol 2.5. Is that fine for me? Is there any serious problem? I am 26 years old. My BP is 130/80 mmHg.

#

• Heart rate from 60 to 100 beats per minute is normal. As you say your heart rate is around 100 beats per minutes it is not tachycardia, but it can best be termed as heart rate on higher side.
  • Firstly, you have not mentioned your lifestyle, sleep cycle, smoking habits and you are an alcoholic or not.
  • What are your anxiety levels? Anxiety can be a very important cause of mild tachycardia in young patient.
  • Does this heart rate remain elevated all the time or during some specific period?
  • As of now, I would like to see your ECG to know whether it is a sinus tachycardia or sinus arrhythmia.
  • Bisoprolol is not a first line medicine for tachycardia, especially a young person with normal blood pressure. I think it was not advised by a cardiologist. Kindly consult your specialist doctor and confirm the treatment.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|