Q. My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Published on Jul 09, 2018

I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, while doing a recent ECG, my doctor advised me that my heart rate is high. About 110 beats per minute. My pressure was 110/80 mm Hg and ECG was normal. My cholesterol levels are good. I am taking tablet Metformin and Aspirin. My HbA1c is 6.1 %.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Regarding your heart rate, it is fine to have a resting heart rate of 75 to 84 beats per minute. It does not signify any major abnormalities. Exercise, stress, anxiety, smoking, caffeine can certainly lead to pulse rate elevation. So, as you mentioned, your ECG (electrocardiogram) was normal except rate. So it must be sinus tachycardia, which can occur due to anxiety if you had brisk walking. Moreover, your home readings are fine so, there is nothing to worry about it. So, just get thyroid test and hemoglobin tested once.

The rise in pulse rate with exercise is an absolutely normal thing. According to the age, maximum heart rate for you is around 160 beats per minute. Also, try to note your pulse rate while sleeping. So overall, I think there is no need to worry about it. Next HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is lower (attachment removed to protect patient identity), we expect it to be above 40. The best way to elevate is healthy lifestyle including healthy diet like low calorie, fat and oily diet, weight loss, avoiding smoking and drinking. Also, your HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin test) is good.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Am I taking a risk of stroke by pushing myself beyond 130 bpm during exercise?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 76-year-old woman, weigh 121 lbs, BMI 20. The exam results from annual wellness check-up are as follows: Coronary calcium scan: LMA 0, LAD 185, LCX 1, RCA 90, Total: 276. Routine wellness EKG summary: aortic valve thickened and calcified. Normal mitral valve with mild mitral r...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »