Q. I have severe hair loss post pregnancy. Please help.

Dr. Pathave Hari Shivaram
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2021

I have a severe hair loss problem. I am a mother of a 1-year-old baby. After pregnancy, I gained weight up to 76 kilograms and after that, I have reduced it up to 63 kilograms. After this, I have severe hair loss. I have hair fall everywhere in my home while combing. Kindly help me.

#

You have hair loss due to telogen effluvium. After pregnancy, there is hair loss in the telogen stage. Hair loss due to telogen effluvium is reversible and they are not permanent. Sometimes, it requires treatment. You can start using Proanagen lotion (Diaminopyrimidine oxide) at night and Q sera hair serum (Butylene glycol, Glycerin, and Dextran) in the morning for two months. Take tablet Follihair (multivitamins) at night after food. Take a good protein diet and iron-rich foods. You can check your thyroid profile, CBC (complete blood count), and serum ferritin. It takes a time of one and half months to two months to stop having hair loss. After doing this, you can have some improvement in hair density. Have a review with your blood reports.

I do not have this hair loss immediately after delivery. It got started after my baby became one year old. I have implanted copper T for birth control. Does it cause hair loss problems?

#

This kind of hair loss can occur due to stress, post-surgery, post-delivery, low iron levels and low proteins in the diet, thyroid disorder, and low vitamin B12 levels in the body. Copper T cannot cause it. You can start doing above mentioned treatment and you can also do investigations mentioned above. If possible, kindly send the photographs of your scalp.

Can we take a hair bath daily or leave my hair with an oil application? Please mention a particular routine or shampoo to be followed.

#

Yes, you can take a hair bath daily or on alternate days. You can also apply oil to your hair. You can use regular shampoo. If you have any problems related to dandruff, then you need to use a different shampoo.

Thank you for guiding me.

#

You are welcome.

|