Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome

Can a nerve disorder cause weakness and bladder problems?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. I am suffering from a unique neurological disorder for about 5 years. I have consulted many doctors, but there is no improvement. So, I want your suggestion in regard to this. I am explaining my problem below. Five years ago, one morning when I got up from be...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you have numbness and weakness in legs, difficulty in walking and difficulty in passing urine. Please scan and send all the reports you have with you. We will evaluate and get back to you. Revert back with the reports to a neurologist online --> http...  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tethered cord is a result of fibrosis and inflammation. Your symptoms of back pain and weakened bowel and bladder movements could be explained with the tethered cord.  ...  Read Full »

What could a cleft-like appearance of the thoracic vertebra in a newborn be?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one day old and on an X-ray, it is showing a cleft-like appearance on the T12 vertebra. The hospital is telling us to follow up with an orthopedic. My question is what can this mean now and in the future?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cleft can be just superficial or deep going up to the spinal cord. If it is superficial then it will not be of a major concern. If its deep then there can be tethering of the spinal cord or bifid cord which can lead to neurological disorders of the lower limbs ...  Read Full »