Throat Culture Test

Is it normal for my epiglottis to appear yellowish and red-veined?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16 year old female, 5 feet in height and weigh around 65 kg. For the past few days, I have been having swollen lymph nodes all over my neck, a severe sore throat and tonsils which I assumed was just tonsilitis as I have had it before. However, I have been experiencing constant h...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that you have severe pharyngitis with tonsillitis and epiglottitis. It could be a viral or bacterial epiglottitis. This usually resolves with antibiotics, but could also become very sever...  Read Full »

Can urine become dark due to smoking?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to smoke 10 cigarettes daily for the past two years. As of now I do not have any problem, except some pain in my throat in the early morning and it stays sore all the time. I want to know, can I have any test to check whether some harm has happened or not? I am very much afraid o...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Smoking cigarette is always injurious to health. It can cause many cancers from mouth to stomach. As you said, you have smoked since last two years, it has caused ill effects on your throat. Clinical examination of throat and general examination is must before we proceed...  Read Full »

Does my sore throat look like strep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from sore throat. Three days ago, it initially started with pain and the redness appeared shortly after. I have had strep about three times now. It hurts when I yawn and swallow. I feel a little dry even though I have been gargling with water. I woke up this morning with a ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. With the details you have provided and the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I have come to the conclusion that you are having an acute tonsillopharyngitis. This is the infection of pharynx (upper part of...  Read Full »

How can we treat acute pharyngitis infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a recurrent sore throat for the past seven months. I cannot drink, swallow, and my tongue is covered with a white layer. I have a dust allergy. I have a mild fever that goes to high fever as the time passes. There is malaise. I have vomiting often after I swallow. It is like a vis...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having an acute pharyngitis infection. You need to do the following tests: CBC (complete blood count). Posterior pharynx examination and auscultation. Throat culture. According to these reports, further treatment can be decided. Use salt water gargle don...  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause sore throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I consulted a doctor for my sore throat. She said it was a sinus infection and prescribed Z-pak and steroids. I have taken all the medicines, but my throat still hurts. It has been like this for two weeks. I thought it as dry mouth and drank around 10 bottles of water a day. I have no...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, sinus infection can cause constant throat irritation due to post nasal drip formed by the sinus secretions. The constant drip can irritate and cause pain. Also, it can act as a source of throat infection. If indeed sinus infection is the cause for the throat pro...  Read Full »

I observed a white round swelling in my mouth. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I observed a white round swelling at the right rear of my mouth cavity behind the last tooth. Also a white straight line behind my uvula. Sometimes I feel that something is stuck there in my throat. No other symptoms.  Read Full »

Dr. Dorina Sokol Gurabardhi

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms can be related to many diagnoses. A picture if possible would help. It can be a yeast infection, a viral or a bacterial infection. I suggest you do some examinations such as a throat culture and a blood test. Meanwhile, some tips: Gargle with salt...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

I have sore throat and lost my voice for about a month. How to get that treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. Over four weeks ago, I started getting a sore throat and lost my voice for about a month now. I have a sore neck like something is grabbing it. My voice has been sore if I try and talk. I have mucus coming up, which is white colored with some blood. I am on Penicillin V...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I would suggest you take a swab of the throat mucus and ascertain the organism that is growing and producing the symptoms.The sensitivity pattern will reveal whether the organism is responding to the antibiotic being taken.To help lighten the mucus and remove it, I sugge...  Read Full »