Q. I had spica cast. When can I start driving or riding a motorcycle?

Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema
Published on Jun 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I had a road accident and fractured my right thumb. It happened three weeks back and was administered a spica cast the next day of injury. After an X-ray, the doctor suggested that the cast can be removed in a few days. I want to understand, how long before I can resume my normal activities like driving or riding a motorcycle, etc. Also, I was strength training regularly before the accident, when is it advisable to lift heavy weights again?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

It is a bony mallet injury. You need to wear the splint on for eight weeks totally, a mallet thumb splint. Do not remove the splint for eight weeks. Repeat X-rays after eight weeks of injury and splint application. And then after eight weeks, you will require physiotherapy for mobilization as you are expected to have the stiffness of that joint. Driving can be about three months after the date of injury. Heavy weight lifting can be done after six months of the date of injury. Can you send me the other view of the X-ray also, if you have so that I can see the fracture better in the other view of X-ray also?

For more information consult an orthopedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have attached are the latest x-rays taken after 4 weeks. The spica cast was removed last week. I can move the thumb but the mobility is limited. Is it okay to start strength training with light weights now? How long should I let it be? It is not very painful but the mobility is limited and the right thumb and wrist ,in general, I feel weaker than the left.

Dr. Lokesh

#

These x-rays are not enough to decide (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to do x-ray of the affected thumb lateral view and then follow up.

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now