Transient ischemic attack has symptoms similar to those of a stroke for a temporary period. It usually lasts only a few minutes and does not cause permanent damage. A transient ischemic attack serves as a warning of a future stroke and also an opportunity to prevent it.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am a 27-year-old male suffering from TIA, intermittent headache, and stiffness in the neck. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27-year-old male taking 20 mg of Atorvastatin and 81 mg of Aspirin daily. I was diagnosed with a TIA two years ago. The TIA was diagnosed based on my symptoms; no clear cause was found. I am trying to determine whether I have a pinched nerve or cervical artery dissection. I had int...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Based on your description, there is intermittent pain in the neck which radiates to the scalp causing headaches and sometimes shooting numbness in the left arm. These symptoms seem more likely due to a pinched nerve (cervical radiculopathy) w...  Read Full »

Why do I get blackout while turning my head towards right side?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old male with height 5'10" and weight 170 lb. Last week, when I turned my head to the right, I started to blackout. I have been doing neck stretches, pinched nerve exercises, etc. Ever since with no improvement to the condition, this may be due to golf, or light weight ...  Read Full »

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you mean blackout as the sudden loss of consciousness? May I know what is the extent of the episode? If you feel blackout when looking up or turning your head, this may be due to pinching of the arteries that are present alongside the spine, called vertebral arter...  Read Full »

Can low blood pressure cause mental confusion?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 51 years old and had bout of confusion this morning which he never had before. He kept repeating the same questions, I would answer, and a minute later, he would ask the same questions. He had a bad sleep a couple of nights, and we had sex this morning. Could this be a l...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your husband has been suffering from confusion, repeating the same type of questions, even getting the answers to those questions, lack of sleep for a few days, and difficulty in remembering. Your husband may ...  Read Full »

Can TIA patient take turmeric and blood thinning medications?

Query: Hello doctor,My amazing 67-year-old dad who runs 10 miles a day just had his first TIA. The hospital did an array of tests and did not see any sign of it afterward but they are sure that is what it was. He and my mom are changing their diet and I am researching supplements. They are changing his blo...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to bring into your notice that he should avoid turmeric as well as Fenugreek seeds in diet, as they have blood thinning potential. However, the potential is low, but can get aggravated by blood thinner medicines. As far as diet is concerned, he should compl...  Read Full »

Why does my mother feel one side of her head to be heavier and has other symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, aged 60 years is experiencing the following symptoms for around three months (please note that these were present before lockdown started and are not related to or developed in or due to lockdown). She feels as if her brain or the head is going on one side or heavier on one si...  Read Full »

Dr. Solanki Chirag Natwarbhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The initial symptoms you have mentioned are relatively nonspecific, except that she was stunned for few seconds and uttered some specific words. That is a symptom that may suggest a transient episode of seizures or TIA (transient ischemic attack) or reversible stroke-li...  Read Full »

Can TIA happen at young age?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old female. About four months ago, something that I suspect to be a ministroke happened to me. All of a sudden, I started losing vision on my left side in both eyes, but it came back within minutes. About half an hour after that, I noticed that my left hand went complet...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your question carefully and explain that your symptoms are very suggestive of TIA (transient ischemic attacks), although this is an exceptional diagnosis at your age. We should also consider migraine aura, focal epilepsy, and panic attacks when discussing the p...  Read Full »

Why was the patient treated for CVA even with normal scan reports?

Query: Hi doctor,The patient is a 79 year old male with a history of fall. CT and laboratory results showed NAD. But, the patient was treated for CVA. Now, the patient complains of numbness or paresis below waist. What would be the best option now?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. In my view, it is possible that the patient suffered TIA (transient ischemic attack) resulting in a fall and the vascular event was not detected on CT scan. I mean to say that although according to CT he does not need treatm...  Read Full »

How to manage blood clots in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, my father had a problem in balance, always even while sleeping. We consulted a doctor, and he asked for BMD, where he diagnosed a problem in the bones of the neck and back. A few days back, suddenly, while morning walk, the right leg turned numb, and my father could no...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Pramod Patil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for all the pain your father is going through. 1) As from your history I come to a conclusion that you father had TIA (a type of stroke, that is temporary obstruction to the blood flow to a specific part of brain). MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain (s...  Read Full »

Will Hydromorphone mask the recovery of an elderly patient with COPD?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is 89 years old and unable to take medications orally. Patient has COPD (with a pacemaker), CCF, had two TIA's a few years ago and is type 2 diabetic, has delirium, and is in pain. Patient is on iv antibiotics, and diuretic. 1) Is it typical not to use Hydromorphone (or alter...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not advisable to withhold pain medication while the patient is on multiple antibiotics for the treatment of sepsis. As the patient is suffering from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), the use of Hydrocodone is not advisable as it causes respiratory d...  Read Full »

I have tingling sensation in face and arms. Is it MS?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had miscellaneous tingling sensations in my face and left arm and leg. A couple times right leg but that is very infrequent. I have gone to the doctor and they did brain MRI which was negative. Neuro exam was fine. Carotids were fine too. I am worried about MS. They are not doing...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to MS (multiple sclerosis). TIA (transient ischemic attack) or epilepsy seizures may cause such clinical scenario. Other possible causes could be vitamin B12 deficiency and ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.