Q. Does continuous tingling sensation on face, legs, and arms indicate multiple sclerosis?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

About a year ago, I started with tingling symptoms on the face, which was most consistent but also arms, legs, and torso those are more intermittent on both sides of the body. At time B12 was low started taking it after a couple of months symptoms better. Also, I had regular neuro examination and normal MRI of the head and cervical spine.

After a few months, I stopped B12 levels up then a few months after the same symptoms again and B12 low again. Started back on B12 symptoms went away in a couple of months. Last month it started signs yet, but still, on B12 it is very high 1270 so symptoms not due to that. Had another head MRI was normal. My cervical MRI did show moderate to severe changes throughout of narrowing of foraminal in all areas c3 to c7. Also flattening of ventral cord c3 through 6. I am anxious about it being multiple sclerosis.

#

If your neuro exam and MRI brain and cervical spine are mostly normal, I believe that the symptoms may not be an indication of something serious. However, if the tingling persists, please get the following tests done.

1. Serum Vitamin B12 (to know if your supplements have worked).

2. Serum Vitamin D3.

3. Nerve conduction studies to check the conduction in nerves.

I suspect all the tests will come out to be normal.

In my note, I said my B12 was high now at 1270. I have not had vitamin D3 done. I had the MRI of head repeated, but the cervical spine was done about a year ago, but I had the same symptoms then.

#

Sorry for not noting the high vitamin B12 level. In the presence of normal MRI and normal neuro examination, it is unusual to have multiple sclerosis. You may get nerve conduction studies done to rule out peripheral neuropathy.

What about the coming and going of symptoms is how multiple sclerosis can be? Would it be odd to have peripheral neuropathy and have tingling in so many places? It is my face, arms and legs, and torso but arms and legs more left side some more intermittent on the right.

#

Coming and going of symptoms can be present in ms. But, in the presence of a normal exam and MRI, it is highly unusual. I agree that tingling over the face is not a symptom of peripheral neuropathy, and nerve conduction studies will help us understand if the tingling is due to any problem with the nerves. Other possibilities include anxiety and hyperventilation, causing tingling in hands and feet.

With ms would the symptoms be the same when they come back? Seems odd for it to be anxiety and have it come and go. When I get this the symptoms last a couple of months. Some days better hardly any tingling then bad days. No other symptoms only I have this tingling.

#

MS is a possibility in your case. But, as discussed, it is not the first possibility. Anxiety and neuropathy are more common than ms. As you said, it is also unusual for ms to have the same symptoms recur.

|