Q. Does continuous tingling sensation on face, legs, and arms indicate multiple sclerosis?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Published on Aug 20, 2019

About a year ago, I started with tingling symptoms on the face, which was most consistent but also arms, legs, and torso those are more intermittent on both sides of the body. At time B12 was low started taking it after a couple of months symptoms better. Also, I had regular neuro examination and normal MRI of the head and cervical spine.

After a few months, I stopped B12 levels up then a few months after the same symptoms again and B12 low again. Started back on B12 symptoms went away in a couple of months. Last month it started signs yet, but still, on B12 it is very high 1270 so symptoms not due to that. Had another head MRI was normal. My cervical MRI did show moderate to severe changes throughout of narrowing of foraminal in all areas c3 to c7. Also flattening of ventral cord c3 through 6. I am anxious about it being multiple sclerosis.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

If your neuro exam and MRI brain and cervical spine are mostly normal, I believe that the symptoms may not be an indication of something serious. However, if the tingling persists, please get the following tests done.

1. Serum Vitamin B12 (to know if your supplements have worked).

2. Serum Vitamin D3.

3. Nerve conduction studies to check the conduction in nerves.

I suspect all the tests will come out to be normal.

| 

In my note, I said my B12 was high now at 1270. I have not had vitamin D3 done. I had the MRI of head repeated, but the cervical spine was done about a year ago, but I had the same symptoms then.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Sorry for not noting the high vitamin B12 level. In the presence of normal MRI and normal neuro examination, it is unusual to have multiple sclerosis. You may get nerve conduction studies done to rule out peripheral neuropathy.

| 

What about the coming and going of symptoms is how multiple sclerosis can be? Would it be odd to have peripheral neuropathy and have tingling in so many places? It is my face, arms and legs, and torso but arms and legs more left side some more intermittent on the right.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Coming and going of symptoms can be present in ms. But, in the presence of a normal exam and MRI, it is highly unusual. I agree that tingling over the face is not a symptom of peripheral neuropathy, and nerve conduction studies will help us understand if the tingling is due to any problem with the nerves. Other possibilities include anxiety and hyperventilation, causing tingling in hands and feet.

| 

With ms would the symptoms be the same when they come back? Seems odd for it to be anxiety and have it come and go. When I get this the symptoms last a couple of months. Some days better hardly any tingling then bad days. No other symptoms only I have this tingling.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

MS is a possibility in your case. But, as discussed, it is not the first possibility. Anxiety and neuropathy are more common than ms. As you said, it is also unusual for ms to have the same symptoms recur.

| 

Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something els...  Read Full »

I have a tingling sensation in my muscle. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few months, I am experiencing some tingling kind of sensation in muscles on a specific area below the left breast near the rib. I would like to know what it is and the cause for it. I am having that sensation mostly in the evening.  Read Full »

What is the chance of multiple sclerosis in pars planitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had burning sensations on my skin since 14 years. I am also very much sensitive to touch, which feels like my entire body is bruised all over. It is so hard to explain, but that is the best way I can put it into words. I feel inflamed all over at times. I had a brain MRI before ...  Read Full »