Q. What causes blue and black lines on the toenail?

Dr. Filza Hafeez

I did treadmill exercises and played tennis for two hours three weeks ago. And after that, I noticed blue and black lines on the fourth toe of my left foot. Can you tell me what this is? Is it melanoma?

I am worried and anxious.

Kindly help.

#

I need to see a clear picture of your lesion to make a diagnosis.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached the pictures.

I removed some of the nails due to stress.

Thanks.

#

I saw the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). You have removed almost all of the nail plate. So, take great care of the open nail bed, do not get it infected in any way. The nail images before removal show a horizontal band, which is free of any clinical sign of melanoma. Kindly let the nail plate grow back and get back to me after six months for re-evaluation.

Thank you for the reply.

I have some questions.

1 ) As you said, "horizontal band, which is free of any clinical sign of melanoma," why can it not be a melanoma?

2) What do you think could be the cause for the lines around the nail?

3) Is there any name for this condition?

4) If this was a melanoma, and if we remove them, will it come back again?

Thank you again.

#

I will answer all your questions as follows;

Clinically, when we see any discoloration in the nail plate, we look for asymmetrical shapes, border irregularities, and color variations. If anyone of them is present, we step on to diascopic and dermoscopic examination. I have looked closely in your case, and there is no such abnormality in the shape, color, or border. There was a clear-cut horizontal band that was homogenous in color. So, in my opinion, it was trauma to the nail, as there is a very tight space below the nail plate, so blood cannot diffuse into the surrounding area. It remains very typical and regular shape.

|