Q. Are my dark nails normal?

Dr. Sandeep Golla
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

These are my nail picture. Are they normal? I think they are little dark. My mom says I had this kind of nails from childhood. I am physically active gymmer for last two years. I play cricket at the professional level. Just want to confirm and get peace of mind. I had full body blood test last year and all went alright. My hemoglobin is 16.

#

I saw your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nails are absolutely normal with minimal pitting in few nails which is considered as normal physiological changes in many individuals and dryness in proximal nail folds in few nails, for which you can try Xerina moisturizer (Glycolic acid, Urea, etc.) twice daily after bath on affected nails. No further evaluation is required.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I was getting scared that they are blue nail disease.

#

No. Excessive hemoglobin levels will cause tindal effect and will appear as blue or little bit violet hue. Do not worry.

|