Q. I have no feeling in my tongue after having wisdom teeth pulled. What should I do?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am 22 years old and had four wisdom teeth pulled. The procedure happened on 7th and my tongue is still numb. I have no feeling in my tongue now. Did the dentist maybe nick a nerve or something? Will I ever get the feeling back in my tongue? I am always biting my tongue at night and when I eat. What should I do?

#

If you had all the wisdom teeth pulled out in one shot, then you should have been given a lot of numbing injections on all the four sides of the mouth. In that case, the injections given for the lower jaw numbness would be the major reason for your tongue numbness. Do not worry, you will definitely get back normal sensations in your tongue shortly as the nerve cells regenerate and it usually comes along with short pricking sensation.

With regards to biting your tongue at night, I suggest you wear a customized mouth guard for a while. Please visit back your dentist for the Flexi mouth guards. Also, you might have to take a multivitamin medication for the nerve regeneration in your tongue.

Should you have any other queries please do not hesitate to write again to me.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Is my tongue itchy because of using tongue cleaner?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an itchy tongue. I can describe the itching like putting a needle on right and left corners of the tongue. I am using steel tongue cleaner for the last 15 years and I have stopped now. Please help.  Read Full »

Is it safe for me to use anesthesia if I have sinus issues?

Query: Hello doctor,My question is whether or not it is safe for me to use anesthesia to fall asleep while having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I am a quiet person and did not ask many questions during my consultation. I cannot breathe very easily through my nose because I have some sort of sinus is...  Read Full »

Is IV sedation the right type of anesthesia for wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor,I am getting my wisdom teeth out and was told I will be under IV sedation, but I did not sign a consent to that, just anesthesia. So, I called and asked them about it. They said I will be asleep, but if they ask me to raise my hand, I will be able to do that. What on earth are they givi...  Read Full »