Q. I have no feeling in my tongue after having wisdom teeth pulled. What should I do?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jun 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am 22 years old and had four wisdom teeth pulled. The procedure happened on 7th and my tongue is still numb. I have no feeling in my tongue now. Did the dentist maybe nick a nerve or something? Will I ever get the feeling back in my tongue? I am always biting my tongue at night and when I eat. What should I do?

#

If you had all the wisdom teeth pulled out in one shot, then you should have been given a lot of numbing injections on all the four sides of the mouth. In that case, the injections given for the lower jaw numbness would be the major reason for your tongue numbness. Do not worry, you will definitely get back normal sensations in your tongue shortly as the nerve cells regenerate and it usually comes along with short pricking sensation.

With regards to biting your tongue at night, I suggest you wear a customized mouth guard for a while. Please visit back your dentist for the Flexi mouth guards. Also, you might have to take a multivitamin medication for the nerve regeneration in your tongue.

Should you have any other queries please do not hesitate to write again to me.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can tongue cleaner cause itchy tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an itchy tongue. I can describe the itching like putting a needle on right and left corners of the tongue. I am using steel tongue cleaner for the last 15 years and I have stopped now. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a diabetic person? Has the tongue problem reduced after you stopped using the tongue cleaner? Revert back with the asked details to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full

Is it safe for me to use anesthesia if I have sinus issues?

Query: Hello doctor,My question is whether or not it is safe for me to use anesthesia to fall asleep while having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I am a quiet person and did not ask many questions during my consultation. I cannot breathe very easily through my nose because I have some sort of sinus is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not have to worry at all. There will be people concerned by you. Having a sinus issue is not a contraindication for anesthesia. You can have sedation supplemented with local anesthetics. In case you need endotracheal intubation, that will be safer for you bec...  Read Full

Is IV sedation the right type of anesthesia for wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor,I am getting my wisdom teeth out and was told I will be under IV sedation, but I did not sign a consent to that, just anesthesia. So, I called and asked them about it. They said I will be asleep, but if they ask me to raise my hand, I will be able to do that. What on earth are they givi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The type of sedation your dentist has recommended for you is "conscious sedation" in which you will be at minimal consciousness and not completely asleep. You could respond to verbal and physical stimuli. This type of sedation helps you re...  Read Full