Q. I have no feeling in my tongue after having wisdom teeth pulled. What should I do?

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am 22 years old and had four wisdom teeth pulled. The procedure happened on 7th and my tongue is still numb. I have no feeling in my tongue now. Did the dentist maybe nick a nerve or something? Will I ever get the feeling back in my tongue? I am always biting my tongue at night and when I eat. What should I do?

#

If you had all the wisdom teeth pulled out in one shot, then you should have been given a lot of numbing injections on all the four sides of the mouth. In that case, the injections given for the lower jaw numbness would be the major reason for your tongue numbness. Do not worry, you will definitely get back normal sensations in your tongue shortly as the nerve cells regenerate and it usually comes along with short pricking sensation.

With regards to biting your tongue at night, I suggest you wear a customized mouth guard for a while. Please visit back your dentist for the Flexi mouth guards. Also, you might have to take a multivitamin medication for the nerve regeneration in your tongue.

Should you have any other queries please do not hesitate to write again to me.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|