Q. What is the solution for tongue numbness after tooth extraction?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of your nerve function. Since this is the only symptom, there are higher chances of restoration of nerve function. It usually takes six to nine months for complete recovery. There is a small chance that it may be permanent.

Also, you can consult your dentist regarding the same. He or she can do a thorough check up of other areas and determine the extent of the numbness. You can also increase the chance of healing by taking a nerve growth factor like Neurobion. You can get it prescribed by your doctor after discussing the problem with him or her.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|