Q. What is the solution for tongue numbness after tooth extraction?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Mar 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of your nerve function. Since this is the only symptom, there are higher chances of restoration of nerve function. It usually takes six to nine months for complete recovery. There is a small chance that it may be permanent.

Also, you can consult your dentist regarding the same. He or she can do a thorough check up of other areas and determine the extent of the numbness. You can also increase the chance of healing by taking a nerve growth factor like Neurobion. You can get it prescribed by your doctor after discussing the problem with him or her.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should ask your surgeon the reason behind giving general anaesthesia in your case. Basal cell carcinoma is a locally invasive tumour with very rare chances of malignancy. The need for general anesthesia can arise when on clinical examination it was found that the...  Read Full

Tricep twitching after electric shock. Could it be nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I received an electrical shock last night. The shock did not hurt, just felt it go up my arm and across my chest. I dropped the probe right when I felt it. No burn marks. Afterward, I was having sharp pains in my chest. I went to the ER, docs did EKG, took blood and urine, said everythi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to an irritated nerve or muscle. For this reason, if the problems persist, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist and performing a nerve conduction study to examine your nerves. Meanwhile, I suggest having some rest and taking...  Read Full

A 52 year old male is unable to walk due to nerve damage. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 52 years old. He had an issue when he was in his young age. His nerve got pinched and due to that incident, he is not able to walk properly. He has gone through so many tests recently. But we are not satisfied with the treatment. Please, clear whom should we consult.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all his tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that they indicate a possible genetic disorder which causes progressive paralysis. Unfortunately, there is no cure for these disorders as the brain cells and spinal cord cells...  Read Full