Q. Can pericoronitis of upper teeth cause brain infection?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have been diagnosed with pericoronitis on the upper left side molar tooth four weeks ago. I took Amoxicillin for one week and the inflammation went down in the gum area. During that time, I had pain in my gum area and that would radiate to my head sometimes. I heard that the headache can be a symptom. Does pericoronitis of upper tooth cause a brain infection? The reason for this question is that I am getting pain in my ears, eyes and sometimes around the head. My doctor said that the prognosis for pericoronitis is very good when the wisdom tooth is taken out. I never heard a story of someone dying from a brain infection from upper tooth pericoronitis. My gum is not inflamed anymore, so I believe that the infection has resolved or under control. However, should I worry about pericoronitis? I heard that majority of people who got pericoronitis do not have any problem after the tooth extraction. Also, I popped a pimple on my right temple and it was bleeding a little bit. Can that cause a brain infection? I visited my doctor thrice for this. He told me not to worry and prescribed an antibiotic cream on it. Now, my pimple is healed up. What are the chances of either of these two things causing an infection or something in my brain?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I feel sorry for the health issues you faced.

• After thorough review of your health query I want to add here that there is no chance of brain infection when taking a wisdom tooth and getting infected from upper left side as you mentioned in detail about pericoronitis.
  • If we get an infection at the tip of the nose or around it and upper lip and around it, then it can go straight to brain through venous sinuses draining this area. It is also referred to as the dangerous area of the face. It is a triangular area.
  • There is no chance of infection to the brain from your forehead pimple infection. You need not worry about both the issues and take care of your medications.
  • If there is no swelling in the gums, then it means things are under control.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have pain on the left side of the jaw. Is it due to an impacted tooth or a tooth with large filling?

Query: Hi doctor, Approximately six weeks ago, I got niggling wisdom teeth pain. The left top and bottom wisdom teeth were breaking through the gums. I got sudden pain which was severe in intensity around the back of my mouth and the lower left side. It got aggravated especially on chewing and radiating to...  Read Full »

Is there a chance for cyst formation beneath the impacted tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I had a baby tooth in the left lower jaw. Beneath it, there is an impacted first permanent premolar tooth. OPG and CBCT were taken. The baby tooth was extracted before a month, and the impacted tooth was exposed. As I had some misalignment in both the jaws, I con...  Read Full »

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »