Tongue Thrusting

I have gap between my front teeth. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all, let me know you that the space between upper front teeth, which you are having, is called midline diastema. It can occur due to many reasons like abnorma...  Read Full »

Can jaw surgery help in improving open bite due to tongue thrusting?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an open bite due to a tongue thrust I have had since I was a baby (I am 22 now). It is affecting the way I talk, eat, and I sometimes find myself gasping for air when I sleep. I have been looking into ways to correct it and also close my bite. Will corrective jaw surgery help w...  Read Full »

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist, Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, you having open bite and tongue thrust. For correction of open bite the exact cause must be ruled out. Tongue thrust is the cause and is also aggrevatinng factor. Also, if corrective jaw surgery works or not or whether any skeletal jaw prob...  Read Full »

I had braces three times because my teeth are continuously shifting. Am I wasting my time in getting braces again?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces three times now. First, during childhood, and second as an adult. First I had metal, wore my retainer religiously for a year, and then after being super strict, my teeth shifted. I then tried Invisalign and was not a huge fan, but considering it again. My teeth continuous...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Why have not they put fixed retainers in your case? Especially if the case got relapsed. You must have got the second treatment done and then at end get fixed retainer at palatal and lingual side of your teeth for like good 10 years. This is the only way to avoid rel...  Read Full »

Can teeth move when pushed with tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel like my teeth are loose and moving in front. It looks like my tongue is pushing them forward. When I look in the mirror, I can notice that one of my teeth has shifted. I do not know what happened and I am really scared. I try to brush my teeth at least once a day. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The feeling of teeth moving forward might be due to the following: The eruption of the wisdom teeth - the force exerted by eruptingtooth pushes the rest of the teeth forward. Periodontitis - gum disease that causes migration of the teeth. Mouth breathing - breathin...  Read Full »

I have a habit of tongue thrusting. How to stop it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a habit of tongue thrusting. Now, I am using permanent retainers for the past four months. How to overcome it?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay K Asrani

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please say your age. Usually, tongue thrusting is done unconsciously. So initially, you should be aware of it. Habit breaking appliance can also be used, and it takes time. It can also be stopped by a process called cognitive behavioral therapy.  Read Full »