Q. I have tonsil stones and an altered sense of smell. Please help.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices.

• This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell disturbance as well, you probably have some nasal pathology like a deviated nasal septum or sinusitis.
  • You should get an X-ray of the paranasal sinuses and also an endoscopic examination of the larynx done and send me the reports. Also, send me the pictures of your throat.
  • Start using hexedine gargles and take steam inhalation. This will definitely help you.

Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better. Take care. Regards.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

What are the causes of bad nose smell?

Query: Hello doctor,Why do I have this bad smell coming from my nose? It is embarrassing. People around me smell it all the time. I do not have my mouth open and people smell it soon as I walk in the room. What is it?  Read Full »

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full »

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »