Q. I have tonsil stones and an altered sense of smell. Please help.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices.

• This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell disturbance as well, you probably have some nasal pathology like a deviated nasal septum or sinusitis.
  • You should get an X-ray of the paranasal sinuses and also an endoscopic examination of the larynx done and send me the reports. Also, send me the pictures of your throat.
  • Start using hexedine gargles and take steam inhalation. This will definitely help you.

Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better. Take care. Regards.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What are the causes of bad nose smell?

Query: Hello doctor,Why do I have this bad smell coming from my nose? It is embarrassing. People around me smell it all the time. I do not have my mouth open and people smell it soon as I walk in the room. What is it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first thing that comes to my mind is a disease called atrophic rhinitis. Here, the mucous membrane and structures inside the nose shrink and the nasal cavity is filled with crusts, which get infected and smell. In this condition, the patient has decreased sense of s...  Read Full

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If ...  Read Full

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full