Q. I have tonsil stones and an altered sense of smell. Please help.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.

#

Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices.

• This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell disturbance as well, you probably have some nasal pathology like a deviated nasal septum or sinusitis.
  • You should get an X-ray of the paranasal sinuses and also an endoscopic examination of the larynx done and send me the reports. Also, send me the pictures of your throat.
  • Start using hexedine gargles and take steam inhalation. This will definitely help you.

Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better. Take care. Regards.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|