Hoarseness Of Voice

Does a small cyst on the vocal cord need a biopsy after surgery to rule out malignancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife, who is 32 years old, had a problem with hoarseness of voice for a month. As my wife is in the teaching profession, the use of voice is too high. She is also doing online business, which requires taking in the phone continuously. We have consulted an ENT specialist, and the docto...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A vocal cord cyst is a benign lesion involving the right vocal cords and is responsible for the hoarseness. Usual reasons for developing are overuse of the voice, which causes excessive vibration and microtrauma to the different vocal cords layers, causing a cystic swel...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism result in voice hoarseness and plantar fasciitis?

Query: Hypothyroidism. Hoarse voice, shortness of breath and joint pain and plantar fasciitis. Electrocxin 50 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Manisha

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. You have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and currently taking 50mcg of Eltroxin. have you been taking 50mcg right from the start or was the dose changed in-between? If you are experiencing hoarse voice, joint pain etc then there is a need to increase the dosage. But before...  Read Full »

What could be the diagnosis with chronic cough and hoarseness in voice for a long duration?

Query: Hi doctor, 16 months ago, I was exposed to fine dust from dry grinding/polishing of concrete (indoors) where I work. This went on for two workdays. My voice became coarse right away, and a cough started. Now, 16 months later, throat still irritated, voice is somewhat coarse. I have to clear my t...  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I doubt very much that cancer is high on the concern list. So I would start by addressing gastroesophageal reflux disease since you are of an age when this starts, you have a chronic throat clearing cough (almost diagnostic for GERD), you are a nonsmoker, and have ha...  Read Full »

My daughter has change in voice with nasal twang. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 6 years old. Her voice has changed for more than 15 days now. I completed five days course as per doctor's recommendation of Augmentin DDs suspension 5ml three times a day and Omnacortil forte syrup 3 ml three times a day. But her voice has not completely recovered. The...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable reason for the change in voice in this age group having a nasal twang is mostly due to adenoid hypertrophy. If you feel she snores at night, has mouth breathing with a nasal intonation to the voice, it could definitely be adenoid hypertrophy. Adenoids are...  Read Full »

Do I need surgical intervention for nodule in vocal cords?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 70 years old. I am feeling hoarseness in my voice for some time. A doctor suggested laryngoscopy, and in the scan, there is a nodule in my vocal cord. What should I do now? Should I remove it or just go with medication?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing a brief history and the endoscopic picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A vocal nodule is a benign lesion situated on the true vocal cord. This is not cancerous and not lethal, not requiring immediate surgery. However, hoars...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for throat pain with excess mucus, irritation and voice change?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. I am having throat pain with red tonsils and white patches on them, frequently clear throat, excessive mucus with low and not clear voice. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description I understand that you are a male aged 20 years, having the symptoms of throat pain, excessive throat mucus, throat irritation and change of voice. From perusal of your symptoms, I conclude that one of the following could be the most probable causes: ...  Read Full »

Can vocal hemorrhage cause vocal problems?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a semi-professional singer and recently, I have been dealing with some vocal problems, I think I had a vocal hemorrhage and it seems to slowly heal, I am really not sure about what it is, so it would mean the world if you could give me your thoughts on it and in how much time it is...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are hemorrhagic patches (early stage) in the anterior one third of both the vocal cords but that will heal if you will take adequate voice rest, drink plenty of water, maintain vocal hygiene for a month and take proton pump inhibitors as well. Get repeat laryng...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine for a squeezy feel in vocal cord and dump voice due to hypothyroid.

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroid for three years, and I am taking Eltroxin 100 mg one tablet daily before two hours to my breakfast. But sometimes I feel pain over and around my thyroid gland. I feel like my neck and vocal throat are squeezed and my voice is dumpy. Please suggest any medicine or tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem may be or may not be related to the thyroid problem. If your thyroid gland is enlarging it may compress your vocal cords and food pipe and cause your problems like vocal throat squeezed, dumpy voice. In this case, you need to get an ultrasound of your ne...  Read Full »

Why has my voice changed suddenly after oversinging?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having voice trouble since last seven months. I oversang one night, and for about three months after that, it was extremely fatiguing to speak. I had an ENT look at my cords with the mirror right at the beginning, and he said there was minor irritation, but no nodules. The t...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. The conclusions from your problems can be a vocal cyst which is not seen through a head mirror, so you can get an endoscopy done after which if not conclusive can go for videostroboscopy which is the ultimate tool. 2. You told you were using Levothyroxine. Are yo...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of laryngeal trauma?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just hit on the right side of my neck with a basketball. Part of the basketball hit my chin, so my neck cartilage did not take the entirety of the impact. The basketball was probably traveling around 20 mph, I do not know for sure. As a large object, it probably did not exert that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally larynx is well protected by protruding mandible. Most of the impact is received by the sturdy mandible. However, since the impact was on the side of the neck, the laryngeal framework might have received some impact. I would like you to palpate your neck for ...  Read Full »