Q. What causes swollen tonsils with fever, body aches and runny nose?

I need to know what I should do. I have been sick for four days now. I have two swollen tonsils (left side I noticed white spots on it). I have had fevers, body aches, body chills, runny or stuffy nose, vomiting and difficulty breathing.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the details, you have provided you seem to be suffering from acute tonsillitis. It is an infection of the tonsils and the pharynx, mostly bacterial looking at the associated symptoms you have.

You must take an appropriate antibiotic for the same and in my office, I usually empirically start my patients on Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day for five days. Also, I give them symptomatic treatment, Paracetamol 650 mg taken SOS for fever and pain, Levocetirizine 5 mg taken once a day for a runny nose, Phenylephrine 10 mg taken once or twice a day for the stuffy nose (Note: There are combinations of Paracetamol, Phenylephrine, and Levocetirizine). Good supportive treatment comprising hot water gargles, plenty of warm water to drink, avoidance of smoke, dust and cold foods, avoidance of oily-spicy foods during the course of treatment and a healthy nutritious diet will help remove the infection faster.

The white or yellow spots on the tonsil are due to obstruction of small crypts due to the infection. It is a common finding in follicular variety of tonsillitis. You may also gargle the throat with dilute Chlorhexidine mouthwash if there is any bad smell emanating from the mouth. Do revert back to me for any further query or clarification. I will be happy to help you. Hope to find you in good health soon.

|