Q. What happens if I swallow the pus drained from my dental abscess unknowingly while sleeping?

Dr. Rakshana Devi

I have an abscess on my tooth. I went to the emergency room, and the doctor poked a hole in the abscess and drained the content. But it did not drain fully, and he did not prescribe me antibiotics and pain medicine. I am just wondering if it would hurt if it were not drained completely? If the pus gets drained while I am asleep, and if I accidentally swallow the pus, would it cause anything harmful?

Thanks.

#

It will not do any harm if you swallow the pus. The pus will discharge at night while sleeping, and it is normal. It is not related to incomplete pus drainage. Only a certain limits of pus can be removed by applying pressure. We can wait and see if it continues to discharge after the medications for three days. Please attach your intraoral periapical radiograph of that tooth and the picture of that abscess to help you better.

Thanks.

Dental caries.

Intraoral periapical radiograph.

Periodontal abscess.

Periapical abscess.

Root canal treatment.

Revert with the details.

|