Q. I have a tooth abscess and the pain is getting worse. Should I look for another dentist?

Dr. Honey Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I have an abscess in the lower molar. There is much pain, swelling, painful jaw and lymph nodes. The dentist prescribed Amoxycillin and extraction scheduled for nine days from today. I have been on the antibiotics for 48 hours. The pain is getting worse, not better. Should I look for another dentist who has an opening for an extraction sooner?

#

I can understand your problem.

A tooth abscess is a painful condition and needs antibiotic cover along with painkillers for relief. So, first of all, please let me know if are you advised any painkillers along with Amoxicillin. If yes, please write the name of the painkiller.

1. Do you have any medical problem or are you on any medication?
  2. Do you have any known allergies?
  3. Do you have the X-ray of the tooth? If yes, please upload.

Please revert with answers.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have been taking a couple of Paracetamol every few hours. I have no allergies. I take Venlafaxine 225 mg per day and Lamotrigine 150 mg per day.The dentist did not X-ray the tooth. She had previously (several months ago) tried to save it with a large filling. She warned me that the root might remain irritated and die. She thinks that now two of the three nerves are dead, and one is dying.

#

No, you do not need to go to another dentist. Rather you can go to your current dentist or an emergency room and tell them to advise stronger painkillers. It will help reduce the pain.

Along with it, do cool compresses over the swelling.

Apply clove oil over the tooth for relief.

Hope this helps.

|