Q. Why is the site of tooth extraction looking like a mold?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I need help. I had my molar extracted last week. The area where the tooth was removed is looking very weird. Green, white, blue, yellow, with a tint of blood? It looks like a mold. I am taking Mefenamic acid thrice a day, I put ice on it, and I am on a soft diet. It is sometimes painful, throbbing.

Do you have a question on Tooth Extraction or Dry Socket?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

BDS., JR ORAL MEDICINE AND RADIOLOGY
Dentistry

I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. As per your history and sent photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the wound is healing and the color changes occur during the healing period. If you have bad breath and burning type of pain, it could have been dry socket which it does not look like.

If you feel continuous pain and throbbing, you may need a course of antibiotics like Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for five days. If the pain is an intermittent and only boring type, wait for three to four days.

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the pa...  Read Full

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is re...  Read Full

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now