Q. Why is the site of tooth extraction looking like a mold?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2019

I need help. I had my molar extracted last week. The area where the tooth was removed is looking very weird. Green, white, blue, yellow, with a tint of blood? It looks like a mold. I am taking Mefenamic acid thrice a day, I put ice on it, and I am on a soft diet. It is sometimes painful, throbbing.

#

I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. As per your history and sent photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the wound is healing and the color changes occur during the healing period. If you have bad breath and burning type of pain, it could have been dry socket which it does not look like.

If you feel continuous pain and throbbing, you may need a course of antibiotics like Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for five days. If the pain is an intermittent and only boring type, wait for three to four days.

|