Q. I am getting shooting tooth pain. Shall I opt for extraction?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 08, 2021

I have got problems with four different teeth. My front tooth is extremely sensitive and painful most of the time. A molar has had a deep filling that was done about a month and a half ago. Still, it hurts, and my dentist said it is nothing to worry. It feels as if shooting pains and sometimes, the pain spreads to my jaw, eyes and nose and I cannot eat on this tooth. Shall I opt for the tooth just to be extracted? It causes a lot of trouble. Also, my back two teeth have one complete filling that covers both teeth. It bleeds and hurts very much if I used in between brushes to clean my teeth, which my dentist advised me to use. I just cannot use that because it is too painful. I experience shooting pains in a lot of my teeth and the deeply filled tooth is the worst. If the tooth were to be extracted, is it possible to get a bridge? What is the longevity of dental bridges? Please refer the photos attached.

#

I just have gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• For the front teeth, get a radiograph done. Maybe there is some trauma to the tooth and it requires root canal treatment.
  • For deeply filling tooth, if the pain is there, then that can be due to two reasons:
  1. High filling - if the filling is high, then when you eat it creates pressure on the pulpal horns and causes pain.
  2. Tooth requires root canal treatment.
  • For back two teeth, there is infection and food lodgement present and that is causing bleeding and pain. Do lukewarm water saline mouth rinse three to four times daily.
  • Maintain proper oral hygiene and continue using an interdental toothbrush.
  • Extraction of the tooth is not always a good solution. It is always better to preserve the original teeth if you can.
  • If you get your tooth extracted, then fixed dental bridge is possible if on the either side of the extracted tooth teeth are present and has sufficient bone density.
  • Dental bridge lasts for long, but it is hard to say the number of years or months.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|