Torch Test

What causes recurrent miscarriages?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. I have been trying to conceive for the past one year but I got two miscarriages as early between seventh week of pregnancy. My doctor told me to do torch profile after second miscarriage where I was reactive for anti CMV, IgM and IgG as well as positive for anti HSV-...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Torch profile is done when there are recurrent early miscarriages. This is basically a test for infection caused by toxoplasma, rubella, CMV (cytomegalovirus), and herpes simplex virus. Your test report shows that your antibodies are positive for CMV and HSV. But ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for occasional spasms above the lips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a muscle spasm above my lip on the left side. It is a rapid vibration that I can see when I look in the mirror and feel when I touch the affected area. I do not experience any pain when the spasms are happening and I can still talk, smile, and otherwise move m...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand the issue. It is basically the facial muscle spasm that you have. In the classical pattern, it involves larger areas of the face and not smaller area or single muscle. The cause for it can be mild compression (more of irritation than compression) over t...  Read Full »

What are the chances of a safe pregnancy with a fibroid uterus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am married for ten months. I had a miscarriage of 10 weeks baby. Now again, I expect five weeks of pregnancy. At my first miscarriage checkup, the doctor said that I have a fibroid of 3.2 cm within the uterus at the intermural side. Also, at that time, my TORCH test was positive. T ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two things, one is to have a pregnancy, and the second is the growth of the pregnancy. Both are different and require different approaches in the treatment point of view. As you said, there were T and R positive. If it was IgG (Immunoglobulin G) positive, ...  Read Full »

Is p24 HIV test conclusive after 28 days of exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old man. Recently, I was tested for complete STD checkup with TORCH test. I have a few doubts: Are HIV 1 and 2 with p24 duo test after 28 days window period conclusive? My result is nonreactive. I got a positive result for rubella. CMV and HSV 1 and 2 IgG positive but...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fourth generation p24 anti-HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody is conclusive after a window of two to three weeks. So a negative result at 28 days is reliable. A positive IgG (immunoglobulin G) for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 means you have an old in...  Read Full »

If rubella IgG is positive, am I at the risk of TORCH infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 4 months pregnant. I had a TORCH test before two years as I met with miscarriage. The TORCH results were rubella IgG positive 19.56, rubella IgM non-reactive, CMV IgG reactive (738.65) and CMV IgM antibody non-reactive. I want to know whether I am at the risk of TORCH infection? Am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are not at risk of TORCH infection (toxoplasmosis, other, rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes infection), so relax and do not worry. If it would have been the IgM posi...  Read Full »

When can I plan pregnancy after three miscarriages and TORCH test?

Query: Hello doctor, After three miscarriages, my doctor suggested me for torch test and it came out positive with high values of rubella IgG 272, toxoplasma IgG 78.6 and CMV IgG 12.1 and herpes IgG 46.1. My doctor gave me Acylex 200 mg two times a day for two months and advised us to not try for a baby f...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case summary. Please tell me about the miscarriage at what time of gestation did they occur. Have you got an ultrasound done in those previous pregnancies? Was any shadow of the baby seen at that time? Was heartbeat seen in the baby? Next is...  Read Full »

We had a TORCH test after miscarriage. Can you explain the reports?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife was pregnant last year, but a miscarriage occurred. We consulted our gynecologist and he suggested we have a TORCH test. The result of TORCH was rubella IgG 270.30 and IgM 0.42, and CMV IgG 118.60 and IgM 0.26. We are unable to understand the report. Is this hike in the valu...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? From the short history, I feel the reason for the miscarriage is her weight. TORCH ( toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex and HIV) are all the infections which we can contract anytime in life from our childhood. They may be experie...  Read Full »

Can HSV positive cause abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, Myself and my wife got tested for chromosome test as my wife had failed premature delivery. The test result indicates that we are HSV IgG positive, CMV and rubella positive. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This indicates that TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, other - syphilis, etc., rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes) might have caused the premature delivery or stillbirth. HSV (herpes simplex virus) causes herpes, CMV is cytomegalovirus and rubella is another viral...  Read Full »

Can I plan a pregnancy if I am rubella IgG positive?

Query: Hello doctor,I am rubella IgG positive 118.90 IU/mL and cytomegalovirus positive 8.87 IU/mL. What does it mean? Can I plan to get pregnant now?  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. It means that you are either immune, vaccinated or had a recent infection. To rule out a recent infection, you have to repeat the titer after one week. If it does not increase, you can plan for pregnancy. Hope this h...  Read Full »

Is Natclovir safe to take during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female, I have had three unsuccessful pregnancies. Currently, I am 12 weeks pregnant, and I have done TORCH test as asked by a local doctor. The reports showed Rubella antibody IgG 138 IU/mL positive, but IgM negative 0.12 IU/mL index. It also showed Cytomegalovirus...  Read Full »

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are all IgG antibodies which are positive, but not IgM. IgG antibodies are a sign of chronic infection, but not an active infection. So, there is no risk of any infection to you and your baby. Secondly, I do not know why your doctor has started you on an antivir...  Read Full »