Q. Should I be concerned about Ethidium bromide exposure?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

I just now had a 3 to 4 seconds exposure to UV radiation when using agarose gel electrophoresis. Also, yesterday when preparing to run DNA, a small amount of Ethidium bromide landed on my finger. I immediately washed it with water. What is the possibility that these may cause a skin mutation or cancer?

#

• You did the right thing washing the exposed area of your skin. You should not worry as the exposure time is very short and exposure was only to a small amount of Ethidium bromide.
  • I doubt you will have blisters or redness or itching.
  • You have to be very careful while using these chemicals. You should wear double gloves and wash your hand carefully after removing gloves even if gloves were not torn.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|