Q. My father has a problem of shaking hands. What is causing it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

My father, who is 71 years old, has a problem of shaking hands for the past 4 to 5 years. It is gradually increasing. What is the cause and how to get the treatment? We met a neurologist and she prescribed some medicines for two months, but things have not improved. Shaking hands is mostly below the wrist. It is more in the right hand when compared to the left hand. He finds it difficult to hold things, to brush, etc. He had a stent operation 2 years back and has asthma. Apart from that, there is no other health issue. Please advise.

#

We are here to help you.

• Your father's symptoms based on clinical history are suggestive of Parkinsonism.
  • However, we need to clinically judge the disease to rule out other causes of tremors such as hyperthyroidism and akinetic-rigid syndrome (loss of passive movement due to muscle stiffness).
  • I would recommend a neurological examination along with the investigations like MRI brain and cervical spine, blood sugars, thyroid profile and vitamin B12 levels.

Revert back with the reports to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|