Q. Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possible way to stimulate the gland again by natural methods? Food items to be avoided after this treatment?

#

I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one.

• Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer?
  • No.
  • Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not?
  • Yes, it completely destructs the gland and that is the main objective here. There is hardly any hormone secreted.
  • Is there any possible way to stimulate the gland again by natural methods?
  • No.
  • Food items to be avoided after this treatment?
  • None.

Just live a normal life.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|