Q. Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jan 18, 2018

My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possible way to stimulate the gland again by natural methods? Food items to be avoided after this treatment?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one.

• Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer?
  • No.
  • Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not?
  • Yes, it completely destructs the gland and that is the main objective here. There is hardly any hormone secreted.
  • Is there any possible way to stimulate the gland again by natural methods?
  • No.
  • Food items to be avoided after this treatment?
  • None.

Just live a normal life.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Be Aware of the Thyroid!

Article Overview: The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in front of your neck. Along with the other glands of the endocrine system, it regulates the metabolic functions of the body by releasing thyroid hormones. This article talks about the normal functions of the thyroid as well as common thyroid disorders and their symptoms and treatments.  Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Endocrinologist

Overview of Thyroid The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in front of your neck. Along with the other glands of the endocrine system, it regulates the metabolic functions of the body by releasing thyroid hormones into the bloodstream. Thyroid disorders can occur when there is too much or too les...  Read Article

What ayurvedic medicines are used to treat hyperthyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old unmarried female. I have a colloid nodule, hyperthyroidism, and uterine fibroids. My thyroid test report shows T3 to be 2.79 ng/mL and T4 is 13.14 ug/dL. I have attached reports for your reference.  Read Full >>

Dr. Swati Totla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to Ayurveda, it is totally excess growth in the body which is kapha and vriddhi. You start following the medicines. It will take definitely very long time. I am giving you one month ...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now