Q. Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Radioactive Iodine or Hyperthyroidism? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possible way to stimulate the gland again by natural methods? Food items to be avoided after this treatment?