Q. Kindly reveal the result of my attached report.

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

Please see my attached report and suggest the further step to be taken.

#

• Please send a clear photograph, which can be readable.
  • This report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is regarding the risk of Down syndrome in a fetus. As we are unable to read the exact value, I am unable to comment further.

Revert back with clear photos to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I have sent the files. Please have a look.

#

• The test you have undergone is known as a triple marker test.
  • This test is used to evaluate the risk of Down's syndrome, Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18 - extra chromosome 18 and severe developmental delay) and Patau syndrome (trisomy 13) in the developing fetus.
  • In your case, it is within normal limit. It means that your fetus does not carry the risk of these syndromes more than that of the general population, which means no added risk.
  • This test is routinely done so that the proper intervention can be taken if the risks of these syndromes are high, but there is no need to worry in your case.

For further doubts consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

You said as low risk. What does it mean? Please clarify it.

#

• There is nothing absolute in medical science. Whatever disease is screened, the result is given only in terms of chance that is no doctor will say that this test finally confirm that the child will not suffer from Down syndrome.
  • This report only suggests that the risk is low and is even lower than the general population that is no added risk from the parent factor.
  • So, all the reports come in this way only and the ratio indicates that 1 out of 980 fetus in the general population will suffer from this.
  • This report is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry. If the results would have been 1:100, then it indicates high risk.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|