Q. Am I at risk of having a baby with trisomy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 28 years old. I am 23 weeks and three days pregnant now. My first-trimester scan was normal. My anomaly scan was done at 20 weeks six days was fine. My quad test alone is abnormal with raised beta hCG value of 6.54 mIU/mL. Am I at risk of having a baby with trisomy 1? Is it common at this age? What is the risk?

#

It would be better if you send me your detailed history regarding previous menstrual, obstetrics, gynecology, medical and drug history. Your age is less risky to have genital anomalies as you are too young. Trisomies are more likely to occur in advanced maternal age. Family history is also a factor if you have a family history of congenital anomaly. You have more chances if your immediate blood relatives have it. Nuchal translucency also matters. It is best measured around 13 weeks. It should be less than 3 mm actually. Biochemical profile showing 1 in 111 women of the same hormonal level have expected chances of trisomy. So combined risk is not high. Be positive and follow your treating doctor if you have any abnormal symptoms.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|