Tympanometry

Why do I hear a sound when I close my ears with my fingers?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I close my ears with my fingers, I hear a very faint sound in my right ear from the past couple of weeks. And when I remove my fingers, the sound stops. What is this sound that I hear?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This sound can be normal. When we close our ears, we do not hear outside sound, so we feel that there is some sound coming from our body. If you have a cough or cold, it can also lead to similar symptoms, due to eustachian tube block. To rule out any pressure changes in ...  Read Full »

Is ringing in my left ear due to sound from a loudspeaker?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to a chant few days back. There the loudspeaker was very loud. The very next day I noticed that there is ringing in my left ear. Now, it has been four days, but it has not gone. Can you help me? I am very scared. Has it caused any effect on my eardrum? Please see to it. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history of noise exposure and symptoms, it is suggestive of acoustic trauma. It occurs after a single exposure to very intense sound which cause damage to the organ of corti or damage the hair cells. Symptoms include ringing sensation in ear known as tinni...  Read Full »

Why do I hear strange noise at night?

Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full »

Why do I hear low sound from my ears? Is it normal to hear it?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice i...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes...  Read Full »

How to cure tinnitus due to Aspirin in a hypertensive patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a BP patient. So, my doctor is giving Aspirin 75 mg from the past four months. But, due to the side effect of this, a tinnitus problem is there in the right ear. So, what can I do to cure this problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hearing test seems to be normal majorly (in normal frequency). But, you have sensorineural hearing loss at a high frequency that is due to nerve weakness and hence, you are having tinnitus as well (most likely). To rule out any middle ear pathology I would advise ...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »

There is ringing sound in the ear. Is something wrong?

Query: Hi doctor, I examined my right and left ear with an endoscope camera and I have found that my right ear looks different. I have less hearing power in my right ear on comparing to my left ear and I am wondering that there is something wrong with my right ear. I am hearing some ringing sounds in my r...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures given (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This white patch in your right eardrum is known as tympanosclerosis. This is a condensation of calcium on the eardrum. It is a slowly progressive process and till now there is no a...  Read Full »

I have fluid in my middle ear. Is there any way to clear it?

Query: Hello doctor, My GP says I have fluid in my middle ear especially in my right ear. I have tried antibiotics and using a nasal spray for two weeks. This has been going on for six weeks. Is there any way to clear it or like my GP says will it just take time? Can this also make you feel slightly off ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluid in the middle ear is called serous otitis media (glue ear or otitis media with effusion). What we do in such patients is give medical management (antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics, nasal sprays) and if it fails we go for myringotomy and grommet insertion. ...  Read Full »

As soon as I go out, why do I get red rashes in the ear canal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had ear problems now for a long time. The problems occur when I am outside in the fresh air, even for a short period. As soon as I am outside in fresh air, I get red spotted rash in the ear canal that eventually secrete some fluid. After a while, it gets filled with so much flu...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem does appear rare. Can you help me with more details on it? Do you have any prescription papers or photograph of the ear? Does this happen to both ears? Does it occur every time you venture out in fresh air? How do you know you get such a rash inside the ea...  Read Full »

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a cold or a cough or any ringing in ears? You should get your ears examined first. The doctor will tell you if you need to get audiometry and tympanometry. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-docto...  Read Full »