Tympanometry

Why do I hear a sound when I close my ears with my fingers?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I close my ears with my fingers, I hear a very faint sound in my right ear from the past couple of weeks. And when I remove my fingers, the sound stops. What is this sound that I hear?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This sound can be normal. When we close our ears, we do not hear outside sound, so we feel that there is some sound coming from our body. If you have a cough or cold, it can also lead to similar symptoms, due to eustachian tube block. To rule out any pressure changes in ...  Read Full »

My ear is rumbling following a throat infection. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This problem is called as tinnitus. As you have mentioned, you started with this problem after an upper respiratory tract infection that resulted in effusion in your ear through blockage of eustachian tube. It is quite possible that your eustachian tube is still n...  Read Full »

I have constant pressure around the ear and nerve twitches. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have ear pain going all the way down to my foot. I also have vertigo and tinnitus. It has been two years. I feel constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches in whole body. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your problem. As you say you have radiating ear pain along with pressure around the ear and vertigo and tinnitus. There can be many reasons to this. Have you got any checkup done? If not I feel right away you will need the following investigations: ...  Read Full »

What causes ringing noise and humming alternatively?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old retired internist. I am not taking any regular medication other than Aspirin 325 mg. I have no known allergies and have never smoked. I do not have any medical history of thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases or Paget's disease. Around four to five weeks back, I noted th...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are suffering from is known as tinnitus. It is not a disease itself rather a symptom due to various underlying causes like age related, hypertension, impacted wax, fluid in middle ear, patulous eustachian tube, TMJD (temperomandibular joint disorder), hypert...  Read Full »

Is ringing in my left ear due to sound from a loudspeaker?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to a chant few days back. There the loudspeaker was very loud. The very next day I noticed that there is ringing in my left ear. Now, it has been four days, but it has not gone. Can you help me? I am very scared. Has it caused any effect on my eardrum? Please see to it. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history of noise exposure and symptoms, it is suggestive of acoustic trauma. It occurs after a single exposure to very intense sound which cause damage to the organ of corti or damage the hair cells. Symptoms include ringing sensation in ear known as tinni...  Read Full »

Why do I hear strange noise at night?

Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full »

Why do I hear low sound from my ears? Is it normal to hear it?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice i...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes...  Read Full »

How to cure tinnitus due to Aspirin in a hypertensive patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a BP patient. So, my doctor is giving Aspirin 75 mg from the past four months. But, due to the side effect of this, a tinnitus problem is there in the right ear. So, what can I do to cure this problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hearing test seems to be normal majorly (in normal frequency). But, you have sensorineural hearing loss at a high frequency that is due to nerve weakness and hence, you are having tinnitus as well (most likely). To rule out any middle ear pathology I would advise ...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »

There is ringing sound in the ear. Is something wrong?

Query: Hi doctor, I examined my right and left ear with an endoscope camera and I have found that my right ear looks different. I have less hearing power in my right ear on comparing to my left ear and I am wondering that there is something wrong with my right ear. I am hearing some ringing sounds in my r...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures given (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This white patch in your right eardrum is known as tympanosclerosis. This is a condensation of calcium on the eardrum. It is a slowly progressive process and till now there is no a...  Read Full »