Q. What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedure to treat it? However, her x-ray shows fluid accumulation around ear and nose. Her audiography shows more than 60% to 70% hearing loss. Please help.

#

I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear.

Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conductive or sensorineural? It will be mentioned in the report of the hearing test.

Tympanotomy is a procedure in which we make a small incision in tympanic membrane and drain out the fluid. If she has only fluid in the ear, then it can be dried with medicines.

In tympanoplasty, we repair tympanic membrane if it has holes and also see the status of the middle ear.

I would suggest you to get a tympanometry test done and also let me know the details of the audiometry report. Also, let me know if doctor commented anything on your mother's tympanic membrane.

Revert back with the report to an audiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/audiologist

|