Q. What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jul 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedure to treat it? However, her x-ray shows fluid accumulation around ear and nose. Her audiography shows more than 60% to 70% hearing loss. Please help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear.

Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conductive or sensorineural? It will be mentioned in the report of the hearing test.

Tympanotomy is a procedure in which we make a small incision in tympanic membrane and drain out the fluid. If she has only fluid in the ear, then it can be dried with medicines.

In tympanoplasty, we repair tympanic membrane if it has holes and also see the status of the middle ear.

I would suggest you to get a tympanometry test done and also let me know the details of the audiometry report. Also, let me know if doctor commented anything on your mother's tympanic membrane.

Revert back with the report to an audiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/audiologist

A pulp is seen in the ear after accidental eardrum damage. What is to be done?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days back, my son put a plastic stick into his ears and the membrane got damaged and blood came out. We went to the doctor immediately. He gave us Azithromycin to give the child and told us to keep his ear safe from air, water and, all other materials. He also told us to watch out for...  Read Full >>

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.Since there was damage to the membrane you need to be careful. It can cause a decrease in the hearing if the damage does not heal properly or get infected. If pus is coming from the ear, kindly consult a nearby ENT doctor and take treatment for the infection. It can tak...  Read Full

Why do I hear strange noise at night?

Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full

Will typhoid cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to audiometry (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she is having a nerve loss. Acute, sudden hearing loss is possible after typhoid or any other viral fever. Mostly, it is not 100% recoverable. If she is absolutely fine, then I suggest her tablet N...  Read Full

Ask an Audiologist Now