Q. How to manage unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Jul 07, 2016

What health implications have been observed with a unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm? I have had a plication performed, but it failed and is back to the original issue. Currently, I am suffering from shortness of breath, chest pain with dizzy spells and increased heart rate. I am on Propranolol for the heart rate issue. Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is most commonly seen on the left side.
  • The diaphragm is the most important muscle of ventilation. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is usually well tolerated if there is no underlying lung or rib cage pathology. But, if severe, then it may cause dyspnea and hypoxemia and require treatment.
  • The most common cause is nerve compression either trauma or some cancer or it may go unidentified called as idiopathic.
  • Patients usually develop severe restrictive ventilatory impairment on spirometry. The vital capacity and total lung capacity frequently are below 50% of predicted for that patient. Lung capacity is reduced when the patient assumes the lying down position.
  • The main treatment is directed at the treatment of the underlying etiologic cause and chest physiotherapy.
  • But, in your case as you said, plication is already failed. The only way to increase its strength is by the inspiratory muscle strength and endurance training through physiotherapy.
  • In some cases there is spontaneous recovery if the impairment is mild or if the etiology is removed. But, ultimately it is the endurance training that will help in the long run.
  • Also, every attempt should be made to prevent any lung infection, which will become very difficult to treat in the future.

Traumatic or some cancer causing nerve compression.

MRI Scan and spirometry.

Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I got fever with chills and WBC count is 11900. Is it serious?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently got a fever with chills and feeling cold. I took Dolo 650 and fever is gone but still continue to feel chills in my legs and sometimes feel cold. I went to the doctor. He asked me to get CBC test and routine urine test. In my CBC test, my WBC count is 11900, rest all are in no...  Read Full »

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

Which is a good medicine to prevent heart diseases in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 45 years old. I am a diabetic patient for the last one year. I used Ayurvedic medicines. Normally, the BP varies between 130/80 to 137/90. For the last 10 days, I am feeling uncomfortable in the chest. Recent test report: Fasting 110, PPBS 185, TC 213, Triglycerides 146,...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now