Q. How to correct PIVD and nerve compression?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I am an army man. I am having PIVD L4-L5 and neural compression at L5-S1. I have a little numbness in my left leg and I do not have any control on my left big toe. As of now, my doctor has recommended for surgery. I need your opinion on this case.

#

• The MRI films that you have sent shows only the L5-S1 level and I will pass that as normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The MRI report, however talks about a L4-L5 extruded disc, which could be significant, but I need to see the films and will appreciate long sagittal cuts too.
  • EHL (great toe dorsiflexion - extensor hallucis longus) weakness is a result of L5 nerve root pressure either from a L4-L5 disc prolapse or a far lateral L5-S1 disc prolapse.
  • You are being an army man may need to be made fit to return to duty as soon as possible and here the indication for surgery are more liberal. I agree with your surgeon, but need to see the MRI films to be sure of the radiologist report.
  • Now, the recovery of the weakness of the great toe is iffy and I must point out to you that it may not recover despite surgery too, but at least surgery will help you in two ways.
  1. Best recovery chance provided by surgery.
  2. Persistent pressure and extruded disc are more likely to cause local scarring and take longer to resolve if treated conservatively.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

| 

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now