Q. Is it mandatory to take Kenacort injection throughout my life for uveitis?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I am suffering from a disease called uveitis and I visit a doctor every six to seven months for injecting Kenacort 40 mg on each eye when needed or when the inflammation starts again. I want to know that when this procedure is gonna end? Or will I have to go for injections for my entire life?

I want to know that if I travel to some countries the vision loss occurs sometimes or the effect of injection comes to an end. Can this injection be injected anywhere around the world? Please guide what would be the procedure for that?

I am currently taking Deltacortril and Cellcept.

#

I understand that you are suffering from uveitis and are on antiglaucoma drops and previously were on immune suppressive tablets. I feel that you may be suffering from an underlying disease that is hampering your immune system, we call these as autoimmune disorders.

The ideal solution to these problems, in general, would be to find out the cause for this immune disorder and treat it. This can be done using blood tests for substances called antibodies (Ab), following which specific treatment can be instituted.

Injection Kenocort (Triamcinolone) is an emergency measure employed in case of severe cases not responding to treatment. These injections cannot be given on a regular basis as they cause complications like cataract and worsening of glaucoma.

Kenocort injection is available in most places around the world, but the guidelines for doctors in different countries may vary and some may not choose to perform this procedure in view of the side effects. If you would like to know more, kindly attach your blood tests and doctor reports.

|