Q. My father has been detected with glaucoma. Do we need to take urgent action?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Jul 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

My father has been detected with glaucoma. The problem started about two months back. There is some irritation in eyes and vision is hampered in one eye. I wanted to get an opinion on how serious. What should be done? Do we need to take urgent action? Can we cure it completely?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The thing with glaucoma is that it is a progressive condition and we can arrest its progress to a level that it does not cause further damage. The vision loss that has already been done by the disease is not reversible. Our goal here is to lower the pressure to such a level so that it does not cause further damage. The severity of damage is assessed:

1. Perimetry.
  2. Intraocular pressure.
  3. Fundus examination for optic nerve head assessment.

For the photographs, you have sent:

1. In the left eye, the disease has progressed quite a lot.
  2. In right also it has started.
  3. The goal here would be to maintain intraocular pressure less than 14 in both eyes and do a six monthly perimetry to stop further progression.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Does this need immediate treatment? Can we wait for 10 more days? What is the expected treatment or surgery?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Right now the pressure is 15 and 17. So no need for immediate surgeries. I can see your doctor has prescribed glaucoma eye drop. Use it as per directions given by your ophthalmologist. If the progression is controlled by drugs then there is no need for surgeries per se. You can wait for 10 days but use the drug prescribed to you.

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to try minimally invasive glaucoma surgery to treat glaucoma?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is a glaucoma patient for the last 10 years. She has been on medications like eye drops including Azopt, Ganfort, Alphagan, Vigamox, and prior to them Cosopt (which did not suit her). She has gone through retina eye laser and also has been injected in both her eyes almost 22 tim...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce myopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have myopia problem, but day by day it is increasing. What should I do to reduce it?  Read Full »